If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Parking at Spruceton Road and Shuttle to DP Eastern TH

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
harrimanbackpacker

Parking at Spruceton Road and Shuttle to DP Eastern TH

Unread post by harrimanbackpacker »

Hi,

I'm looking to do DP this weekend. I'm thinking of riding up my motorbike up to the trailhead, calling smiley's for a ride to the eastern trail head. Four questions:
1. What is the parking lot like? Is it gravel, asphalt, etc? I wouldn't want to make the hike to find my bike laying on it's side.
2. Will my bike still be there after I'm done the trail? :)
3. Alternatives to Smiley's?
4. Anybody wants to share the ride this Saturday morning?
mike

Re: Parking at Spruceton Road and Shuttle to DP Eastern TH

Unread post by mike »

There are 3 parking lots at the END of Spruceton Road. There are other DEC PA's before the end of Spruceton Road. They are each about 1/8 mile apart. The 1st one (With a horse ramp) is the largest. The last one (Gate) is the smallest. Your bike should be safe. Just park it in an out-of-the-way spot. Put a rock under the kick-stand. Smiley's is a little expensive. I think it is around $75. Not an easy hitch-hike back situation either. A lot of road miles from one end to the other.
harrimanbackpacker

Is there another taxi service you can recommend?

It looks like its a good 4 miles between the end of spruceton and the end of the dp trail based on gmaps. Thats a bit of a road hike. Thanks for the info!!
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

harrimanbackpacker wrote:Is there another taxi service you can recommend?

It looks like its a good 4 miles between the end of spruceton and the end of the dp trail based on gmaps. Thats a bit of a road hike. Thanks for the info!!
No you don't need to road hike. There is a DEC parkinglot that can fit like 4-5 cars at the terminus of the Devil's Path. It is well before the end of spruceton rd. There is a private rd. called "mink hollow Rd" right before the parking area. You can find it easily on this map link. here "spruceton rd 1"

After the Devil's Path parking area, the spruceton Rd has parking lots near the end. the first on the left (with wooden horse ramp) is the one up the spruceton jeep trail to the firetower on top of Hunter Mountain (great hike if you get lost there and just keep hiking!). The last parking lots toward the end of spruceton will lead you to the trail which just heads straight up to the Diamond Notch, with one of the most spectacular falls. This is not the end of the Devil's Path, if you get off the trail here it means you skip the Westkill mountain section.

Here go to the parking lot listed for this hike
http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/HWK-ND.html

This is the devil's path ending parking lot.
i only have picture in winter, but it's right on the side of spruceton rd, and it will def fit your bike.
If people will mess with it? I hope not. That would be a disgrace!

A shot of my car parked alongside the road at the devil's path Terminus parking area (not the end of spruceton rd.)

The parking lot at the end of the devil's path

Also I have no idea bout the taxi services. i think the best idea would be to do a car drop, like go with someonelse who has a car, and drop one there, and then ride over to the prediger parking lot to start it out. If you want to take a taxi that's fine, just be weary that the cellular service in the vallies is spotty no matter the carrier. It's bets to have an action plan on how to get from point A to point B before heading to the mountaintop.

Also that last end spot hiking through that hemlock forest before that trailhead is spectacular. Good luck! and happy Trails!

Hemlock forest near end of Devil's path
harrimanbackpacker

Thanks Jon! Looks like I'll definitely be able to squeeze a bike in there. I just need a rock or a small piece of wood to keep that kickstand from sinking in. Unfortunately, looks like I'm going to have to skip the full hike this weekend since the weather isn't cooperating. Perhaps I'll just do a small section. Thanks again!