If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

North Mtn from Winter Clove

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

North Mtn from Winter Clove

Unread post by mike »

For the past year or two, I have been looking for the chance to hike to North Mountain and North Point from Winter Clove. Most people are not aware of this trail. I was fortunate to not see a single person all day.

I arrived at the Winter Clove Inn early in the morning. Went to the front desk to get permission. As usual, it wasn't a problem. I then started up the trail. It was sunny and clear. It was a little warm, but not bad. A little bit of wind, but not enough for my taste.

From the Hotel, you hike on fairly flat land for the first 1-1/2 miles. Part way up the woods road, you have to leave the road to take another trail. If I continued straight, it would take me to Winter Clove Falls. But, I headed up the moderately steep trail that takes you up to Lookout #2 on North Mtn. The trail isn't hiked that often, so it is a little overgrown. But, if you pay attention you can follow the trail markers up to the top. But, it does require a little bit of route finding skills. Part way up, there is a small view point that looks out to Little Stoppel Point. Then the trail gets quite steep near the top.

Once you get near the top, the trail winds around a little bit. Then you will suddenly pop out of the trees. At this point you are about 50' away from Lookout #2. The views were spectacular as usual. It is truly a 5-star view. I never get sick of the views over North-South Lake.

I then hiked down to North Point. I stopped for a few minutes to eat a little. Then I headed back. Hiking down the steep trail was much easier going downhill. Once down to the dirt road, I then headed up to Winter Clove Falls. The 126' falls were almost dry. The best time to visit them is when the water is high. In the dryness of summer, it is just a dribble. I then headed back to Winter Clove Inn.

It was a nice day out in the woods. About 7 miles all together including Winter Clove Falls. If you are interested in this hike, you can check it out here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/NSL-north2.html . I should also note that Winter Clove Inn is a great place to stay.

Here are a few pictures:
Winter Clove Inn

Dirt Road to Winter Clove Falls and North Mountain

Lookout #2 near North Mountain

In between Lookout #2 and Lookout #1 - Looking at the Blackhead Mtn Range

Lookout #1 (North Point)

Bright and colorful Fungus growing along the trail

Black-eyed Susan flowers at Winter Clove Inn

bikenhike

Re: North Mtn from Winter Clove

Unread post by bikenhike »

Those clouds hovering over N-S lake look really cool. Nice clear day too. I need to spend some time over there soon.