If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Protecting my home from blackbears

Discussions about all wildlife, trees, plants, flowers, and geology
gandgny

Protecting my home from blackbears

Unread post by gandgny »

We moved to the Catskills (Andes) about a year and a half ago. Because of the brutally cold winter, I fed birds (mostly Chickadees, Blue Jay and Finches) through birdfeeders. I have had hundreds of birds partaking in this winter treat. However, now that Spring is approaching and the snow is melting, I have large piles of bird seed on the ground, discarded by the birds and close to my home. As I know the black bear will be coming out of hibernation, I am now afraid of attracting them. Last Spring we had a very large black bear (probably 700 pounds) come within feet of my home several times throughout the spring looking for food, and birdseed was not available. Do I shovel up all of the seed and move it to the woods, throw it out or leave it alone? I want to do right by these magnificent creatures but also am very aware of the danger. (Last year it only took one time for our trash cans to be emptied and dragged into the woods to learn about not leaving them out overnight for pick-up) Any other ideas for controlling the bear in my area is appreciated.
mtnclimber

Re: Protecting my home from blackbears

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I would remove the seeds on the ground and remove the bird feeder. The bears should be coming out about now. You can pour ammonia on the ground where the seeds were. Bears have a very sensitive nose and this awful smell will help keep them away.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

You could buy a bottle of ammonia, and take the cap off and set it outside. the bears could small it from a long distance away. Just have to keep rain out of it.
gandgny

Unread post by gandgny »

Thank you for your replies. I did all of the above and so far so good. Enjoy spring in the Catskills!