If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Sherrill Oct 27

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
traprocker

Sherrill Oct 27

Unread post by traprocker »

From the Shaft Road PA, I crossed the stream and ascended via the west ridge route. Although the large trees on the ridge were pretty much stripped of leaves, the smaller beeches threw a nice splash of yellow into a the late autumn brown and gray scene.
The ridge is mostly hardwoods but even though it was open, there were still plenty of nettle gardens, blowdowns, boulder fields and mossy seeps to negotiate, not to mention numerous ledge bands that got bigger as you go up. Finally , once past the last ledge, I was on the flat summit plateau, covered in first growth forest. Once part way across the plateau, a footpath appeared which I followed easily to the canister, 2 hours from the start.
After signing in, I ranged around the lower slope, finally finding a nice grassy perch looking out to North Dome and over to Slide. I thought about going over to ND but I figured that would be 3+ extra hours to the hike, not to mention energy I did not have. The trip down was a bit quicker with loose rock and wet leaves playing havoc with the knees. I thought this hike was pretty interesting and worth doing from this approach if the leaves are down, I figure it would be torture in mid-summer with a full growth of nettles, brambles and thickets.
Total time 4:15.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Re: Sherrill Oct 27

Unread post by mike »

I think the route you took is the best way up. Sounds like everything went well. Nice view of ND!