If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Backpacking in the Catskills

Discussion of anything else that doesn't fit into the other forum categories.
rhodell

Backpacking in the Catskills

Unread post by rhodell »

I want to try backpacking in the Catskills. But I want to be sure that at the destination there is a designated campsite or at least a legal campsite that can fit a tent. I know about the designated campsites at Giant Ledge and in the col between Slide and Cornell. Are there other places where I can reasonably be sure of having a place to put my small (2 person) tent down? Water is not an issue as I carry everything that I need.
mike

Re: Backpacking in the Catskills

Unread post by mike »

Very few designated camp sites in the Catskills. Here are a few rules:

1. You can camp any place where you are 150' from a trail, road, or water source (pond or stream).
2. You must camp below 3500' between March 21 and December 21), except in an emergency.
3. There are quite a few lean-to's in the Catskills. They are available on a first-come first-serve basis, and you must share with others.

If you have a mountain in mind, some of us can make some suggestions.
kennykb

Re: Backpacking in the Catskills

Unread post by kennykb »

Most of the lean-tos have posted tent sites nearby, if for any reason you dislike lean-tos. (There are many reasons to dislike them, but that's a topic for another time.) And, as Mike says, there are a lot of lean-tos.

If you're down low enough that you're in deciduous forest, it's usually not horrible to find a stealth tent site in spring and fall. In the summer, the growth of nettle, blackberry and viburnum can make it nearly impossible to find a spot that isn't covered with dense (and stingy and scratchy) brush.

Get the deck of trail maps from NY/NJ Trail Conference. There are a lot of good sites marked on them.

There are some really nice sites, too, that aren't on the maps. One (if you don't mind a dry camp) is that in Jimmy Dolan Notch, there's an unmarked herd path directly opposite the access trail (at the junction with the Devil's Path). It goes to a spectacular overlook over the notch. Watch your step: the trail just abruptly ends at a cliff edge. On the way to the overlook, the path goes through a really nice site with stone chairs and a fire ring. It's obviously heavily used, it's more than 150 feet from a marked trail, and nobody's posted a NO CAMPING disk.

I've heard tell that Pecoy Notch has a similar site, but I've never found it.

There are a few nice official sites near the start of the Fishermen's Path, where it heads up the Neversink away from the Peelamoose-Table Trail. I've slept there before. The new Long Path extension over Cross Mountain and Romer also has some designated sites. There's one that's nearly due east of Wittenberg with a very nice view of Ticetonyk across the Esopus valley.

But really, let us know where you're thinking of going. Almost anywhere in the Catskills that makes a decent backpack has no shortage of places to sleep.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.