If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Suggested Summit with Kids

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
biscut

Suggested Summit with Kids

Unread post by biscut »

I just started peak bagging and fishing in the Catskill Range, even joined Stony Clove Rod & Gun; good people! I hit Panter Mt. last March (-1 or -2 made me feel like I was back in the White Mts. NH). Between fishing trips with my boys, 6 and 8, I took them up Giant Ledge. They loved it of course. They are begging to go again and I may just get em outa bed tomorrow AM at 530 and get a summit in. Can anyone recommend a summit about as difficult as Giant Ledge? My 8 year old was fine but the return my 6 year old was really wiped.

Advice please :D
mike

Re: Suggested Summit with Kids

Unread post by mike »

I would try Hunter Mtn from Spruceton Road. Easy hike to the summit. The view from the fire tower is great. If you feel that the mileage is too much, you could take the chairlift from Hunter Mtn Ski Center. Then you could also go the the Spruceton Valley Overlook (another 1/4 mile down the path from the fire tower). You kids will love the fire tower. There is also a Ranger cabin there. great place to have lunch.

http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/HWK-hunter.html You don't have to do the loop, and you can go back down the Jeep trail.

If you hike from Hunter Mtn Ski Center, you would take the black trail ("Trail Junction Colonel's Chair"). Maybe 5 miles.
The Spruceton Valley Overlook is near the summit ("Views").
biscut

Unread post by biscut »

Thanks Mike. Looks pretty good. I was running through the guide books and maps and was checking out Balsam Lake Mt. Mileage isn't bad (for kids) and doesn't look too rough terrain wise. Although, they like to scramble over the rocks best!

Sean
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

both hikes are good. Hunter is probably a little better hike. But, you can't go wrong with either one.
biscut

Unread post by biscut »

Thank you both! Now I have 2 potential hikes for the boys.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

I've said this before, I think gradually easing them into it is key. Try to start out something light, whatever you think their base capabilities are (2 miles? 4 miles?). Then also consider the elevation gain/rock scrambling. Balsam Lake Mtn and Hunter from spruceton are two great suggestions. Also a good intro-hike is anything around North/South Lake. They're not 3500s but they are a bit easier and have great views. I take my girls (7 & 9) there and they have fun and don't get too exhausted. The only 3500 peak I've taken them up was Windham High Peak. This hike is a bit long (~ 8 miles IIRC), but they were able to manage (when they were 4 & 6). I saw some pretty young kids getting their 3500 certificates at the dinner last Spring, so I know they're all "doable".

Some other hikes I consider relatively easy from the 3500s:
Slide Mtn- Despite being the highest, pretty low grade for majority of the trail. Some cool rocky bits in the beginning but always a nice easy one. Mileage isn't bad.
Devil's Path Peaks - Despite being an endurance challenge when tackling them all at once, a lot of these can be done in single hikes, with pretty low mileage (<6 round trips for most). The elevation gain is usually just over 1500 from parking areas, so isn't anything crazy. There are great rock scrambles on these, so if the kids are into those it's perfect.
Balsam Mtn- One nice view and very few rocky parts. I remember this was one of the easier ones I did in the winter.
Easy trailess:
Halcott or Vly have got to be some of the easier canisters to get to. North Dome is very low mileage but difficult considering the rock scrambling involved.
biscut

Unread post by biscut »

Planning on going this weekend. Sun looks good, high of 47 perfect hiking temps! I'll post up when we are done.
biscut

Unread post by biscut »

UPDATE:

Sunday during football season is a family day in my household. Wife works most wekeends and is out of the house 2pm to about midnight. So in order to get a hike in the day must begin early as I need to be home by 2pm to watch my youngest who is 3 years old. I wake up Sunday at 430am (I had packed the car the night before throw a quick beef stew in the crock pot and get the boys up at 5am. In the car by 510 and off we are to Battenkill Rd. and Balsam trial head. It's about 2hrs from my house in Hopewell Jct.

Temps were a little chilly but my boys are pretty decent in the cold. About the time I'm driving thru Liberty it starts raining....damn! Keep going and at the trailhead we've got sleet and some freezing rain going on. I love the snow and ice. My kids do as well. BUT I was not prepared for this with them. Footwear was woefully inadequate and nothing but cotton as I wasn't really expecting rain. Forecast was 20-30% chance showers. I had brought my Gore-Tex jackets in case but that was for emergency not for the whole hike.

So we had to turn back! But will be hitting it this weekend! Timberland hikers ordered for both boys from Zappos will be here Friday! The saga continues.......
mike

Unread post by mike »

Sometimes things just do not work out as planned. Hopefully, this coming weekend will be better.
biscut

Unread post by biscut »

Hi! Checking in with some good news. Today was (is) my 42nd birthday. Last night I watched world series game with my kids and was still able to wake them up at 5am for the drive to Balsam trail head. All went well. Hit the McDonalds in Liberty so they could get heir beloved Egg Mcmuffin (not something I let them get often). Sunrise was 0720 and we were at the trailhead at 745 so timing was pretty good. Cold and tired they bitched a bit as they woke up....got their new boots on em (waterproof Timberlands) and we were on our way at 0750. They moaned and were half asleep until the .9 mark where the trail begins to climb a bit. Then they were great and loved it.

We made the summit pretty early; but it was overcast and the last .5 mile was sleeting with some snow flakes and strong wind. Temp was about 35F once we got past the 3500ft signpost. Not much longer we hit the spring and flattened out to the summit. Fire Tower was a blast, has been a while since I climbed one of those! Wind was harsh and pelted with some light freezing rain was a great treat for my kids. Their first time hearing that kinda wind and feeling what mother nature can drop on you. I myself, love that particular sound the wind makes......if you've felt it you know what i mean.

I was worried they would have some stamina issues; not at all. Left 0750 and back to trailhead at 1045. 10 minutes at the tower and for them to play around the locked cabin. Lets face it boys, cold weather keeps ya movin!

Than you for the help. I think Hunter may be up for next weekend. If not Hunter Maybe I try Slide with them.