If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Black Bear hunting

Discussions about all wildlife, trees, plants, flowers, and geology
capdisthunter

Black Bear hunting

Unread post by capdisthunter »

I am looking for a good place to hunt black bear in the Catskills this early season, starting 9-6-14.

Dose anyone know any farmers or landowners that have some problem bears on their properties?

Thanks.
mike

Re: Black Bear hunting

Unread post by mike »

Lots of bears throughout the Catskills. People are telling me that they are seeing more bears then deer. And, there are a lot of deer.

You can also hunt on State or DEP land. You just have to be careful of hikers.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

I haven't seen that many bears this year, but I know they're out there, because I've seen (and stepped in, oops!) more bear scat on the trails than I ever have in previous years. I'm betting that this year's bear season has a record bag in our regions.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
capdisthunter

Any locations that you can share would be great.
mike

Unread post by mike »

There are always a lot of them on Kaaterskill Mtn Range. The problem is that most are inaccessible. Most people who go there, park at the end of Gillespie Road and hunt on DEP or State land. I would be there very early in the morning. Once it gets later in the day, most bears just take a nap. People do bushwhack there so you need to make sure you see them clearly before shooting.

I would also go to where there are acorns. It is going to be a very good nut year. Bears move to those locations. The acorns are already falling off the trees.
capdisthunter

Thanks Mike. Someone else has also told me about that area. I will take a look.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Right now the black bears are feeding on the acorns at lower elevations. It is going to be a good acorn year, and they have come early. They are seeing them around Cairo, Acra, etc right now. In a week or two the the acorn trees will start dropping acorns on the mountaintop. Look for the oak trees that drop them, and you will find the bears.
capdisthunter

I found a few spots that were dropping them already. Also located a grove of Beech that was dropping seeds. Found some fresh scat & a clawed up tree, but no bear.