If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

5/3/14 Stoppel Point Second Plane Crash Site

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
kennykb

Re: 5/3/14 Stoppel Point Second Plane Crash Site

Unread post by kennykb »

It looks as if the trip's likely to involve pushing through a lot of mountain laurel. Don't I recall that the flat area at about 2500 feet is all laurel meadow? We'd be wanting to be starting to angle left off the trail at that point, trying to spot a good ledge to work across, and that's right where we got into all the laurel last time.

I'd be game to make the attempt!
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Hi Kevin,

I guess the best strategy would be to park at the Winter Clove Inn and head straight up the trail towards Stoppel Point. As you noted, we would then hook a left (south) when we find a decent ledge and follow it to the wreck site. If you recall from when we hiked Country Kill with Mike and Alexis last spring, the trail to Stoppel Point becomes increasing vague and pretty much entirely disappears as you get closer to Stoppel Point.

My other concern is the seemingly endless climb we would have to do. Regrettably, my legs (and whole body) cannot do what they used to, and I need to be very much aware of my physical limitations (getting old stinks)!!! Regardless, I would be willing to give it a try if you and Mike are "game" someday.

Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

I have hiked further up the ridge to below Stoppel Point. On the south side of the upper part of the ridge there wasn't any Mtn Laurel, and the walk across the Escarpment looked easy travelling. You can also descend down towards Winter Clove Falls easily too. There is also a side trail off the ledges down towards Winter Clove Falls.

The only other way is to hike from Schutt Road. You can bushwhack up the creek straight towards Stoppel Point. About 2.25 miles to Stoppel Point. Then descend down the north side to the ridge, and then hike across the Escarpment at 2800'. Less elevation climb this way, but the descent down from Stoppel Point would be memorable. Then when you return, you would hike down to Winter Clove Inn.

You certainly would want to do this when there are NO leaves on the trees.

I should also comment on Kevin's comment. When you are around Little Stoppel Point, you want to make sure you stay on the path. Otherwise, you can end up in some very nasty Mtn Laurel. Happen to me once when I wasn't paying attention. So, some of Kevin's warning are worth paying attention to.
Rivet

Unread post by Rivet »

I didn't encounter any patches of mountain laurel on my route to the plane wreck. Relatively open. Just uneven footing try to sidehill across on a contour.