If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

new member needs help

Balsam, Hunter, Leavitt Peak, North Dome, Sheridan, Sherrill
tomc10291968

new member needs help

Unread post by tomc10291968 »

Hi all
Tom c here . I went camping at devils tombstone before i found this site. My questions is what was i hiking. Here are the details.. The guide said my car wouldn't handle any parking areas, and recommended hiking from the campsite to the mountain. Its would be hard but was afraid i would get towed or stuck. I climb steep grade of rocks, came to a sign post for hunter fire tower, but stayed left not making the right. I ended up taking a steep trail down to lanesville and walking back up rt 214 to the campground> In all 8 hour day.
My questions i guess is was i on devils path at all?
thanks i know not all lot of great details
tom c
hope that made sense
kennykb

Re: new member needs help

Unread post by kennykb »

You were indeed on the Devil's Path up from Devil's Tombstone, past the Hunter Mountain turnoff (by the Devil's Acre lean-to), down the west side of Hunter (passing the Geiger Point overlook) to Diamond Notch Falls. You turned left at that point onto the Diamond Notch trail, coming out onto Route 214 in Lanesville.

It's possible to cut off some of the roadwalk on that loop by turning right off 214 at the next road east of Lanesville, crossing the bridge over Stony Clove Creek, and following an abandoned railroad grade back to the campground. Portions of that route are on private land, but I seem to recall that hikers enjoy an easement to hike the rail grade. (I'd respect the landowner's wishes if it's posted. I don't actually know its current status.) Or take the road across the grade all the way to the end, and bushwhack up in a generally S-SE direction up the ridge until you intersect the NY Long Path at the top, and take that to where it turns right on the old Silver Hollow Road. Turning left will take you to the campground. Either route keeps you off pavement most of the way.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
tomc10291968

Re: new member needs help

Unread post by tomc10291968 »

Thanks Kenny