If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

New Joiner

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
rock quarrie

New Joiner

Unread post by rock quarrie »

Hi, I have been spending time on this site for a year or two, but just now finally joined up. I have been hiking in NH for many years, but just started in the Catskills last winter. It is much closer to home so I like that I can get a great hike in without having to stay overnight somewhere. Anyway, if anyone has any plans for a hike, especially the bushwacks, let me know. I don't mind going solo, but would be good to have a partner or two as well.
mtnclimber

Re: New Joiner

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Welcome to the forum Rock Q. There should be some people who can go with you. The weather has been rotten lately, so not that many people have been getting out. What kind of hikes do you like? How fast do you hike would help too? Are you a list hiker?
rock quarrie

Thank you. Yes, I guess I am a list hiker. Partially because that is the way my brain works, and partially because it motivates me to see different areas of the country, which is the real reward. I do enjoy just getting out, but need/like some sort of elevation gain, instead of just a walk in the woods. As far as my hiking speed, my knees are not as young as they used to be, but I can keep up with all but the fastest hikers. Hope to meet you out on the trails.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Welcome to the forum! I try to get out everyone weekend. Weather permitting. I hike trails and bushwhack also. Not a lister, but have done many of the list by default. This Spring there should be quite a few groups getting out. Right now I am still trying to get all the waterfalls done in the Catskills. That often requires bushwhacking. You are welcome to join me. I can put you on some mailing list for group hikes if you like that.
rock quarrie

Thanks Mike, not a lister but trying to get all the waterfalls? ;) I did also just join the 3500 club. They seem to have quite a number of opportunities for getting out and meeting other hikers. I will definately be taking advantage of that. Hope to see you and others out there.
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

Welcome. Where from? Saugerties here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Sorry about the confusion of not being a lister. We have been working on getting our new waterfall section of the web site done. There is very little known about many of the waterfalls in the Catskills. I have done all the 3500 peaks several times. But, I have no interest in submitting for recognition of the climbs. I am driven more by great hikes.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Welcome! I hike about every other week in the cats. I got 35 hundo patch this april but a lot of my of my friends are still aspiring. I slowed down my forum posting but still interact with ppl here every so often. This guy kennykb is great to hike with, and trunks if u get the chance. Last week I did Burroughs traverse and was 2 inches of ice the whole while way so unless u have at least microspikes (I recommend full crampons) I would wait until the spring.

Mike still waiting to plan a hike with u! Lemme know and maybe we can get together and plan something. Maybe some more Platte clove waterfall hunting if you're up for it

p.s. looks like were getting snow in NJ today and nothing in cats. I will prob snowshoe NJ this week!

-jon
mike

Unread post by mike »

Jon - I would love to hike Platte Clove with you.

I second that Kennykb is someone good to hike with.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Glad to hear you guys like hiking with me! (I'm slow enough that not everyone does!)

I've kind of got a bug in my ear about the 3500 - not about the pretty patch, but I'm just compulsive enough to want to try for the list. (And then, why not send in the $15? I should probably cough up some $$ for the club anyway.)

Any plans to go out? I'm not up for anything involving full crampons - I'd need refresher training. But snowshoes + microspikes, I'm game. Blackhead is the only one of the four winter peaks I'm missing - but I'm missing most of the bushwhacks, and cold weather is the best time for some of them anyway.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.