If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Ginseng Mtn from Rt 23

Ashland Pinnacle, Hayden, Huntersfield, Lake Heloise, Mt Pisgah (durham) Nebo, Sticklers, Steenburg, Richmond, The Knob, Zoar
mike

Ginseng Mtn from Rt 23

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday I had some early morning duties. But, when I was done, I wanted to do some hiking. I have been nursing my foot for the past month, and I have been itching to get back out on the trail. I have wanted to hike from Rt 23 to Sutton Road over Jinseng and Richmond for quite some time. I have hiked in From Pisgah and Sutton Road to Richmond a couple of time. So, today I decided that I would hike in from the other side.

I arrived at the Windham Mtn parking area around 10:30-11:00 in the morning. Lots of people going up Windham. When I registered I saw the last hiker was there a month ago. Not a heavily used trail. I could have driven up Jenny Notch Road and cut 3 miles off the hike, but I don't mind hiking flat sections.

The beginning of the trail winds through the woods. After about a 1/2 mile you then enter a nice conifer forest. I liked this section. From there, it changes to a road hike down Jenny Notch Road. At the end of the road you enter in on DEP land. It is an Jeep trail, so the trail is nice-and-wide. Ran into a few hunters on the way up. Near Jenny's Notch, I then climbed up Jinseng Mtn. The trail is actually quite steep. When you get on top there isn't a clean view. But, the top was cleared a number of years ago. Saw about 10 hunters. I am the only one who saw a deer. About 6.25 miles. I hope to get back here again soon.

Nice conifer forest at the beginning of the hike

Jenny's Notch

From the summit of Jinseng Mountain