If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Recommendations

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Wolfie2nd

Recommendations

Unread post by Wolfie2nd »

Looking for a good overnight trip to break in my buddy in up in the skills.... Need to get him back up there.
I took a friend of mine to do a trip up in the Catskills and it left him hating it up there. I dragged him up peakamoose and table thinking he could handle it being that we do 20 plus mile trips in Harriman during shoulder season. Any suggestions?
I'm running out of hiking partners and I'm over Harriman. It nice but way too many people and I've done almost the whole park.
mike

Re: Recommendations

Unread post by mike »

Try part of the Escarpment Trail. Start at Batavia Valley Trail head for Blackhead Mtn and hike to Lockwood Gap. Then hike to the top of Blackhead Mtn. Then continue down to Arizona Mtn and to Dutchers Notch. Once you are at Dutcher's Notch, head west towards Colgate Lake for about 3/4 of a mile. Just before you cross the creek there is a field on the right. If you follow the unofficial trail about 200' you will see a fire ring. Camp there for the night.

View from Blackhead Mtn

One of the views near Arizona Mtn

Campsite west of Dutcher's Notch

On the second day, you will hike back to Dutcher's Notch. Once at Dutcher's Notch, you will hike towards Stoppel Point. From Stoppel Point hike down to North Mtn/North Point. Then hike down to North-South Lake. From there you can hike the southern Escarpment or hike out to Schutt Road or Laurel House Road through the campground.

One of the views on the way to Stoppel Point

View form Lookout #2 at North Mtn/North Point

Bear's Den (DEC has it marked as Artist rock)

There are quite a few different routes along the way. Especially when you get near North-South Lake. Most are good. Continuing on the Escarpment Trail below North Point is especially nice. (Bear's Den, Prospect Ledge, etc).

I'm going to be gone for the next week. but will be back on the 9th for more questions. This route will take some research, but it should be an outstanding hike. So many great views and great trails. Blackhead is a little steep, but, this is the only difficult section.
Wolfie2nd

Re: Recommendations

Unread post by Wolfie2nd »

Thanks or coming threw as always