If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Kaaterskill Rail Trail

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Kaaterskill Rail Trail

Unread post by mike »

I hiked the proposed Rail Trail several years ago. But, today I was able to hike The Kaaterskill Rail Trail after they had finally finished it. So on Saturday afternoon, Alexis and I headed up to the end of Laurel House Road. We took a a nice walk down the trail. For the 1st mile, it is level and nice. For the final mile we have to divert to the road and finally over to the MTHS house. The final mileage is 2.08 miles one-way or 4.16 miles round trip.

We went in the MTHS house and spent some time with one of the ladies. When she was younger she was an avid hiker, and we got to hear about all the hikes she had done. She was just like us, but up in her years. After a nice talk, we headed back to our car.

When we got back we headed down to the top of the falls. The water was running strong. We then hiked up the stream a bit, and then headed back to the car. In all it was about 5 miles.

bikenhike

Re: Kaaterskill Rail Trail

Unread post by bikenhike »

Nice looking trails. I am guessing you can ski on part of the rail trail? It would be nice if you could bike down them too.
Birdman

Unread post by Birdman »

Mike, this was nice. Did it two weeks ago.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The rail trail goes over 4 owners land. One owner refused to allow the trail. That is why it gets diverted to the road for a short distance. Still a very nice trail. It will make an excellent cross country ski trail in the winter.

During the next phase, they will be putting in a bridge over Lake Creek and that will hook up with the Escarpment Trail. The bridge is expected to be completed by 2015.