If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Mink Hollow Access to DP and Sugarloaf ?

Guardian Mtn, Overlook Mtn, Plattekill Mtn, Indianhead Mtn, Twin Mtns, Sugarloaf Mtn, Plateau Mtn
bousquet19

Mink Hollow Access to DP and Sugarloaf ?

Unread post by bousquet19 »

Back in the late 1960s when I started hiking in the Catskills, the DEC trail guide map showed trail access to the Devil's Path via Mink Hollow from the north. This trail no longer appears on current Catskill maps.

Is there still good, public trail access to the DP from the north via Mink Hollow Road, or do I have to use the route to Sugarloaf from the Pecoy Notch parking lot? And does anyone know why the Mink Hollow route closed or at least became unlisted?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
mike

Re: Mink Hollow Access to DP and Sugarloaf ?

Unread post by mike »

Yes. You can drive to the end of Mink Hollow Road on the Elka Park side. Park at the turnaround. This is the beginning of NYS land. Many people still use this path. It just isn't an official trail. Not sure why. It is an unofficial trail. You can find it on any of the good trail maps out there. NYS does a poor job keeping their trail maps updated. You can also get to Sugarloaf from the DEC parking lot on Dale Lane.

This link will show you how to get to the Dale Lane parking lot: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/IH-sugarloaf.html

This link will show you how to get to the Mink Hollow Road parking lot and the trail: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/IH-plateau.html

Hope this helps.
bousquet19

Unread post by bousquet19 »

Thanks, Mike! Good to know that this access is still available.

Woody
daveoleary

Unread post by daveoleary »

Hi -
I parked at the end of the road in early April when I snowshoed up Plateau, it definitely was the closest trail head, plenty of space to park. I'm pretty sure there were "No Parking - Snow plow turnaround" signs, but the lot was clear so I parked there. This might be why they don't put it on some maps, but it is marked on the NYNJTC map. Part (maybe all?) of the way up to the shelter is an old road. It was hard to tell once the snow got deep enough, but some of it is washed out. Enjoy!
dave