If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Solo Hiking or Guide Led - Which is Better

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
God's Country

Solo Hiking or Guide Led - Which is Better

Unread post by God's Country »

Hello, everyone. My friend, Paul, and I visited Hunter Mountain yesterday for the first time to Zipline. It was an incredible experience. I had never been to the Catskills, but he lived in the area for several years (he hunts). Here's my question: we'd love to start hiking regularly, but we know next to nothing about the trails. Should we try to learn on our own by taking some of the smaller trails by ourselvers or should we use the services of a paid guide service. I'm reading a lot about bears, bad weather, getting lost, falling off of clifts, fast moving water - lots of scary situations that we may not be able to get ourselves out of. From what we've seen in one day, we really love the Catskills, but we have a lot of respect for mother nature and we're aware that we're out of our natural element. Does anyone, especially those of you who hike regularly, have any advice for novices like us. Please know we are most grateful for any words of wisdom. Thanks!
TrunksWD

Re: Solo Hiking or Guide Led - Which is Better

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Hi! I've never done a guided tour, so it really isn't necessary. I highly recommend always have trail maps with you and planning the hike you will be doing pretty well, so you know what trails and how much elevation you will be doing. This site is really good with suggested hikes. I've learned it is best to over prepare. I always leave a change of clothes in the car just in case of bad weather or falling in a stream. Having said that, I've only been caught in the rain a couple times out of the more than 50 times I've hiked in the Catskills.

If you ever bushwhack I highly recommend getting a GPS. Also if you ever come to ledges while bushwhacking don't go straight up it. Look around for the best way up them.

If you want to start with easier hikes just ask on here, most of us know most of the trails. I've climbed all of the high peaks.
God's Country

Unread post by God's Country »

Hi. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm a hiking novice and I've never bushwacked - I'm not even 100% sure I know what that means, so I'm definitely going to start with a smaller trail. Thanks, again.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

If you are a "novice" to the Catskills, I would recommend starting out in the North/South Lake region. The views are stunning and it is almost impossible to get lost, since there are so many trails canvassing the area. It sounds like you've already acquired a healthy respect for the outdoors (in terms of heights, wild animals, etc.), so I do not think you will have any problems.

If you would feel more comfortable with someone, perhaps you could join Mike and me the next time we hike. Mike, Alexis (his wife), Kevin, and I did two awesome hikes about a month ago, and hopefully, we can meet up again in the next few weeks.

As long as you use good old fashioned common sense, you should be fine. The Catskills are wondrously beautiful place. Do not be afraid to explore and be awed!

Rich
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

I think your best bet is to go buy the Trail Maps. Check with your local hiking/camping store and see if they have the Catskill maps. I know they sell them at R.E.I. and E.M.S. and ramsey outdoor and campmor and you can probably find them online on Amazon(or even from the NY-NJ TC site). I recommend the "NY-NJ Trail conference" maps but I know there are some other vendors who print maps which can be just as useful.

http://www.nynjtc.org/catalog/maps

Once you have those you can get a better gauge on where things are and how far everything is. They have "P" which show you where all the parking spots are for the trailheads. They also have small "stars" marked on the map which show the "scenic views" chances are if you plan to hike to a spot with a bunch of stars, there will be nice views. Some maps will even have mileage printed for the trail sections.

I have run into some guided hikes before, and I don't really think it is needed in the 3 mild seasons. Maybe if you wanted to winter hike/backpack and were inexperienced I would suggest a guide or take along an experienced friend.

About 95% of the trails I've been on in the catskills are very well marked. There is excellent signs at about 99% of the intersections. There are always people on the trails in the popular spots who are usually helpful if you need directions. Even when "Bushwacking" (hiking right through the bushes with no trails) I've run into people in the oddest of places. I always think I'm in the most secluded spots sometimes and always get surprised.

Definitely listen to rkugel and start out at North/South Lake campground for first time Hiking if you're unsure. There are tons of views, it is not much elevation gain, and you can get oriented with your map, and figuring out the mileage and how far the parking is from the views and that sort of thing. You can go to North Point, or anything along the Escarpment trail and on a nice sunny day you will have one of the best views in the catskills.

You don't have to camp there to hike from there, I think they charge you a few dollars for a "day use fee" but you can park along the Escarpment and some of the most historic hiking spots in the Catskills start there.
biscut

Unread post by biscut »

Start small and work your way up. IMHO there is a tremendous positive feeling of accomplishment when you are solo. There are a lot of books out there and maps to help you our. I like to photocopy the trail description and take it with me. I started int he White Mts years and years ago before the tear proof and water resist maps of mylar. I laminated my first set of maps 20 years ago and I still am able to use them.

My kids (6 & 8) were able to hike Giant Ledge (Panther Mt.). Maybe take a look at that trail. Excellent reward as the ledges are beautiful. Fall is the best of the best time! Good luck whatever you chose.