If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Rip's Ledge from Winter Clove Inn

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Rip's Ledge from Winter Clove Inn

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday, I decided to do a small hike alone. I decided to hike Rip's Ledge (also known as Rip's Rock). I headed down to Winter Clove Inn. From there I hiked across the field (heading south) below the Inn. At the end of the field I picked up the trail. Most of the trails in the lower and middle section were wide and maintained. When I got up further I then entered the Rip's Ledge Loop. This part of the trail is less maintained, so you have to pay attention to where you are going. I took the upper loop. After climbing for a while, I came to Indian Lookout. It is a nice ledge with a nice view looking east towards the Hudson River. From there I continued down the trail. Apparently, I wasn't paying attention and walked off the trail. After a few minutes I hit the lower part of the trail and follow it. As I climbed higher the trail became harder to follow, but not impossible. I just had to pay attention. At one point there were a number of trees down, so I was confused for about a minute. But, then found my way up the rock cut. I then exited out onto Rip's Ledge. Rip's Ledge is directly above the old Rip Van Winkle House site, and the house is near Rip's Boulder. The view from Rip's Ledge is spectacular. There are tons of blueberry bushes up there. I spent about a half-hour up there enjoying the view and taking pictures. I actually, got a little click-happy. It was very windy, so I was limited. I then headed back down. This time I took the lower part of Rip's Loop. I also did a little exploring while I was there. There are a number of old homesteads out there. The hike is about 4 miles round trip with elevation climb of 900 vertical feet. But, with my diversions I hiked about 6.25 miles. I should also note that this ledge is quite high, so you need to be careful near the edge. Not a good place to visit in the Winter. Here are some pics:

This is what most of the trail looked like - easy hiking

This is the hardest part - which wasn't that hard

Rip's Ledge - Looking up towards North Mtn

Rip's Ledge - Looking towards the Hudson River

Jon

Re: Rip's Ledge from Winter Clove Inn

Unread post by Jon »

Nice views. I wonder if you could downclimb to this from the Escarpment somehow?
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

There is a trail from Lookout #2 on North Mtn that goes off the Escarpment and runs down to Winter Clove Falls. You would have to bushwhack across part way down.

The other way would be to take the Harding Trail from North Lake. Then take the Little Quarry Trail near the S turn. Then hike down/across when you got to the drainage. I don't know how what kind of difficulties you would have.

I don't think it would be easy either way you went. Mike would know more then me.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

I have heard of this hike, but haven't done it. There are suppose to be a bunch of other trails in the area. I think they are listed in the 1975 Hiker News.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I would say that it would be hard to get to from the Escarpment Trail.

You might be able to bushwhack down from below Lookout #1 (North Point). There are 2-3 ledges on this route, so I don't know what kind of problems you would encounter.

The other route would be to take the trail from Lookout #2 and start hiking down towards Winter Clove Falls. Then bushwhack across to Rip's Ledge. I would describe both of these routes as very difficult.

The Escarpment is around 3,000'. Rip's Ledge is around 1,850'. Much easier to hike it from Winter Clove Inn.

I can draw you a map if you are serious about trying it from the Escarpment Trail. I have considered a number of routes over the years.