If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Poet's Ledge camping

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
stamenoftheshamen

Poet's Ledge camping

Unread post by stamenoftheshamen »

Has anyone stayed overnight near Poet's Ledge Recently? I am planning on doing it tomorrow night with the lady and was curious if anyone had a recomendation for a primative campsite if there is one.

Our other thought was to camp near Hawkeye Ledge. Any input is welcome

Thanks!
mike

Re: Poet's Ledge camping

Unread post by mike »

You have to be at least a 150' away from any trail or stream. It is hard to be 150'away from that at Poet's Ledge. Hawkeye is a good choice. There is another spot down near Buttermilk Falls. It is a couple hundred feet east of the 1st waterfall. Has a fire ring and is an excellent site.
stamenoftheshamen

Unread post by stamenoftheshamen »

Awesome - Weather turned sour but I plan on heading there. I understand the bear population is very high in this area.

Anyone have any incidents? I want to bring my GF but the high bear population might be a show stopper for her.
mike

Unread post by mike »

There was an big-old-male black bear that used to sleep in a cave southwest of Poet's Ledge. But, he was shoot by hunters last year. He never bothered us. We walked past his den a number of times, and he didn't seem to care. The bear population on the Kaaterskill Mtn Range has dropped significantly over the past couple of years. Hunters have been flocking to there. I have hiked there over a 100 times and seen a few, but they were almost away trying to get away from me. They are quite docile.

Your GF shouldn't worry about them. They really are not a problem. The view from Poet's Ledge on a crisp clear day is quite dramatic and beautiful. She probably will not like the long slog up the ridge line. It isn't steep, but it seems to never end. But, the hike down to Poet's Ledge is quite nice, and of course, the view is even nicer.

If you can't get her to do this hike, then consider the Escarpment Trail. Either the southern portion, or the portion just north of North lake. A climb to North Mtn is nice too. There are two lookout points. Both are excellent. I personally like the higher one.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Poet's Ledge is awesome on a good day. You can hear the highway traffic, but the views are dramatic. Never had a problem with bears.