If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Countryman Kill Falls and Little Stoppel Loop

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Countryman Kill Falls and Little Stoppel Loop

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday, April 27th, Alexis, Rich, and Kevin and I met at the Winter Clove Inn. We arrived around 9am with beautiful blue skies and a great temperature. We headed into the Inn to get permission. Alexis accidentally tripped over the cord to the vacuum. The maid was trying to figure out what happen. We then headed over to Artist Falls. Rich and I took some pictures while Kevin and Alexis wondered around.

From there we headed up the trail, and jumped onto the Yankee Smith Trail to Countryman Kill Falls. We all chatted while hiking over to the Falls. When we got to the Countryman Kill Falls everyone was wowed by the beauty of the Falls. Rich and I took the next two hours to photograph the 5 waterfalls. Photographing these waterfalls is an all-day event. So many opportunities.

We then headed up the logging road. The thing about the logging road is that it climbs in elevation gradually. But, it never seems to end. As you get further up the mountain, it gets steeper. Everyone was huffing and puffing on the way up. We all wished it would end. And, finally it did. Everyone kept complaining that I kept saying that the trail gets steeper as we got higher up. Nothing like overload them with reality.

Once on top, we headed down the conifer forest. We then took a wrong route to Little Stoppel Point. But, after a little backtracking we found it. But, the clouds were flowing in as we arrived. Everyone was tired. We then headed down the trail to the next view point. Took a few pictures, and headed down off the ridge.

We travelled 7.25 miles and took most of the day. We didn't travel fast, but we did have fun. Here are a few photos:

Artist Falls

Artist Falls

Countryman Kill Falls #1

Countryman Kill Falls #2

Countryman Kill Falls #3

Countryman Kill Falls #3

Countryman Kill Falls #3

Countryman Kill Falls #4

Countryman Kill Falls #4 & #5

Winter Clove from Little Stoppel Point

kennykb

What it was really like...

Unread post by kennykb »

I didn't bring a camera, figuring that I'm a slow enough hiker that I'd slow the group down enough without indulging in the guilty vice of compulsive photography. Little did I know that I was going with ... photographers.

As soon as we got into the woods behind the hotel, Mike and Rich were setting up their tripods and trying to get the perfect shot at Artist Falls. Alexis was sitting up above, saying, "I should have brought a book."

Mike and Rich try to line up the perfect shot by ke9tv, on Flickr

The Yankee Smith trail over to the Countryman Kill passes through an old settlement, with many stone walls (and stone piles from field-clearing). Anyone know any of the history here?

Old settlement by ke9tv, on Flickr

At each of the waterfalls, we went through the same drill, where Rich and Mike both tried to set up the perfect shot. (The results above show that they had a considerable degree of success.)

Mike and Rich try to line up the perfect shot by ke9tv, on Flickr

At that waterfall, I remarked to Mike that I was going to hike up to the next one. He absently said, "OK," and returned his attention to his camera while the remark went in one ear and out the other. Next thing I knew, Mike and Rich were shouting for me. I shouted back, but they couldn't hear my voice over the sound of the falls. I pulled out my whistle, and tooted out "Shave and a Haircut", which did carry, but then a mockingbird started copying it! The guys though my whistle was just another bird call and kept hollering. (Well, they were worried only for the few minutes that it took me to hike back down to them again.)

The remark of the day was, "I think we're coming into the steep part." Once we were above the falls, the remark was equally true or equally false everywhere, depending on your point of view. The picture below is typical, including a photographer getting a camera out of his bag.

Rich on the trail by ke9tv, on Flickr
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
rkugel

Re: Countryman Kill Falls and Little Stoppel Loop

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, Alexis, and Kevin,

Thank you so much for a great hike and great company on Saturday. In spite of the grueling climb, we all maintained our sense of humor which kept things fun. And the weather could not have been nicer. I love the shots you guys took. You got some terrific results, in spite of the challenging lighting in the falls. Looking forward to Saturday.

Best always,
Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

At that waterfall, I remarked to Mike that I was going to hike up to the next one. He absently said, "OK," and returned his attention to his camera while the remark went in one ear and out the other.
Oh...I forgot to mention that I suffer from "Selective Listening Skills Disease". I thought that it only affected my wife, but I am clearly mistaken.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Once again, thanks for a great hike. I've attached a few photos below from our day. A few notes to share:

1. By far, the biggest regret was not bringing bug repellant. The black flies devoured us alive. I am still covered with itchy bites from the nasty critters.

2. The trail that climbs from the Winter Clove Inn to Stoppel Point gradually becomes less and less obvious as you climb higher and higher. West of Little Stoppel (i.e., the final 600 foot ascent to Stoppel Point itself), the trail pretty much disappears. To make matters worse, the trail is blazed in a rainbow of colors: red, blue, and orange. It honestly seems as though someone had a bunch of half-empty paint cans in their garage and decided to use up the assorted paints by blazing the trail.

3. Does anyone know the history of the mysterious rock walls that overspread the area just south of Country Kill Falls? It seems as though there is a fascinating story waiting to be told.

2013-0427-WinterCloveInn-02-Fix.jpg
2013-0427-CountryKill-06-2-Fix.jpg
2013-0427-CountryKill-07-1-Fix.jpg
2013-0427-CountryKill-Foundations-1.JPG
2013-0427-CountryKill-Foundations-3.JPG
2013-0427-LittleStoppel-1-Fix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.