If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Your Favorite Hike? Looking for my next hike

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
dave955321

Your Favorite Hike? Looking for my next hike

Unread post by dave955321 »

Hi, I'm trying to plan a day hike for this month, and I'm looking for peoples suggestions and their favorite hikes. I've hiked the North South Lake area a great deal, as well as the the Poet's Ledge, Viola, Buttermilk… hike (one of my favorite hikes). I'm looking for something new with great views, and a good level of seclusion, and a max of about 9 miles round trip (could also possibly do two parking lots with two cars so it doesnt have to be a loop). Any suggestions? anyone have some absolute favorites?

thanks
dave
Jon

Re: Your Favorite Hike? Looking for my next hike

Unread post by Jon »

Wittenberg from woodland valley
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

I agree with Jon. Wittenberg has some of the best views in the Catskills. West Kill is another high peak with great views. It is a little bit easier than Wittenberg. Wittenberg is about miles and West Kill is 6.4 miles round trip. There is also Giant Ledge and Panther, but if you go on a weekend it can get really crowded. Giant Ledge is about 3 miles round trip and with Panther its likes 6.5 miles.

Wittenberg (Just subtract Cornell)
http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/SMW-wittenberg.html

West Kill
http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/HWK-westkill.html

Giant Ledge and Panther
http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/SMW-giant.html
mike

Unread post by mike »

Welcome to the forum Dave.

There are a lot of great hikes in the Catskills. But, finding one with seclusion is more difficult. Huckleberry Point is another classic.

Another great one is the Little Stoppel Loop. Very secluded. I have never seen another hiker on the trail. You start at Winter Clove Inn. You hike the Yankee Smith Trail to Countryman Kill Falls. Countryman Kill Falls are not high, but exceptionally beautiful. There are five waterfalls. From there you head uphill on the old logging road towards Stoppel Point. The old Logging road disappears for a little bit, but picks up again. Once you get to the top of the ridge (about 600' vertical feet below Stoppel Point), you then follow the blue marked trail DOWN the ridge thru the conifer forest (Head towards the south side of the ridge). When you come out of the beautiful conifer forest, there is a side trail that will take you to views overlooking Winter Clove Valley. From there head further down the ridge. Just before you head off the ridge there is another great view point (a little off the trail). Then you head down off the ridge back to Winter Clove Inn.

It hasn't been listed on this web site yet, but will be soon. Everyone is wow'ed by the hike. A couple of us are planning on doing this hike in the next month. You're welcome to join us. I might have a GPS track of this hike if you are interested.

I take it, that you have found Best Hikes of the Catskill Mountains?
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

My opinion on this is there are plenty of hikes that could be called "the best waterfall" "The best view" "the best balsam forest" "the coolest rock formations" " the best rock scrambling""coolest river in the valley"

The reason why I will suggest woodlandvalley-wittenberg is that it has just about all of everything. It has a small stream with a bridge crossing early on. It has a nice little waterfall (sometimes) during the lateral hike up the mountain. There are spectacular hemlock forests that the trail winds through. There's some steep climbs, a few spots where it's nearly vertical and 5-6 ft of rock you need to climb up with hand/foot holds. It's got a thick cap of boreal forests of balsam fir and red spruce above 3,500 feet. Some mountains only have a sparing amount, or you only hike in it for 10-15 minutes. The conifers on wittenberg is a nice extensive section hiking through for 30min-1hr before reaching the summit.

There are some nice views, especially from the top you get the grand vista of the Ashokan Reservoir. The rocks are layered and crumbling and you have to climb in between some very unique formations to get to the top. It's about 8 miles round trip, and there is quite a lot of elevation gain. It's doable in a day but if you want to make it an overnight there is a lean-to on the mountain (terrace lookout) and there are several campsites a bit off the trail. Some people will even extend it another mile or so to the top of Cornell. This gives some more views and the experience of the bruin's pass and the cornell crack. Also a great view of slide mountain from the other side. Like Trunks said, you don't have to go to cornell if you don't want to you can always turn back and just do wittenberg.

If I have people who have never seen the Catskills (most of my NJ friends) then I take them there first. I say if they're only going to go hike the catskills once, at least if they climb wittenberg they get a taste of everything.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Wittenberg Mtn certainly has great views, and is listed on this site's Best Hikes and Best Views. But, it does have 2500' of vertical that some people have a difficult time with. But, if you are in good shape and like rock-scrambles, I would do this hike. You will not be disappointed. It does have a variety of different terrain. The problem with most of the hikes with "Best Views", is that they are often quite crowded. I realize that you are also looking for seclusion. Hikes with great views are rarely secluded. Poet's Ledge might be the exception. But, now that people have learned how to get there, Poet's Ledge is becoming more crowded.

I presume that you have already done North Point (Lookout #1 and Lookout #2) and Palenville Overlook. Both of these are also good hikes with great views in the North-South lake region.

As Jon pointed out, everyone has a different idea of what the best hikes are. My top three favorites are Kaaterskill High Peak (west access), Little Stoppel Point Loop, and North-South Lake (Escarpment Trail). The Best Hikes section on this web site are done with a committee who vote on the best hikes. Personally, I think they need to shake up the Best Hikes list from time-to-time.
dave955321

Unread post by dave955321 »

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like Wittenberg is a favorite. We'll either try that or High Peek from the west.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

You should have a lot of fun on Wittenberg. Kaaterskill High Peak from the west side is real nice, but it is a bushwhack. You really need someone to show you the route the 1st time. Post a report once you are done with Wittenberg.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Mike,

One of these days I still want to do KHP from the west. Time's been impossibly tight owing to some situations at work, so I haven't got out much over the winter, but now that the weather is improving my feet are getting itchy.

How confusing is the approach? How solid are your GPS waypoints? Am I likely to be able to do it from your directions, or should I wait to go with someone that's been there? (I'm reasonably good at orienteering, but your description makes it sound pretty nasty.)
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Kennykb,

I hear you when you say how tight time is. Likewise, I am "itching" to get up to the Catskills and do some hiking. Mike and I have hiked the West Access Trail several times and it is now one of my favorite hikes. However, as Mike cautioned, it is a very long bushwick (about 3 miles if I remember correctly) and it is incredibly easy to walk off the trail. In some places, the trail is obvious and easy to follow, while in other places it has almost completely disappeared.

There are many fascinating sites along the way including the remains of the Tory Fort and the hanging ledges (both located in the col between Round Top and KHP). If you are "adventurous", you could also try a "side excursion" up to the summit of Round Top. Mike and I did this (with the help of his GPS) and it was well worth it.

Due to the fact the hike is almost entirely a bushwhack, I do recommend hiking with a partner. As I mentioned earlier, it is very easy to lose the trail and become lost. There is also a large population of bears in the area.

Mike and I both want to do the West Access Trail again (in addition to about a dozen other hikes). Perhaps you could join us.

Best always,
Rich