If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Safety in North/South Lake Region

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
eotheguy

Safety in North/South Lake Region

Unread post by eotheguy »

My boyfriend and I were planning a visit to a B&B in the North/South Lake area the week of March 25th and hoping to do some day hikes. We do a late-March hiking trip every year, but usually in Columbia County, which is comparatively flat. After reading some of the safety warnings on websites, I'm wondering if we should cancel or modify our trip--I really don't want to risk death or serious injury! We're both in excellent shape, but we don't have specialized hiking gear (we've always been fine with running shoes). Can anyone tell me a) whether the trails up there will still be icy at the end of March, b) whether we need to buy special hiking boots c) what the safest trails are in that area. We really just enjoy being outdoors and talking and enjoying nature, so we don't need something dramatic.
mike

Re: Safety in North/South Lake Region

Unread post by mike »

The snow around North-South Lake will be gone by this coming weekend. If we have a freak snowstorm, it should melt quickly. I think that you are okay. There are a lot of trails around North-South Lake, so you should be okay. Many are relatively flat. I should also note that the region around North-South Lake has some of the best hiking in the Catskills. This time of year, you can drive into the campgrounds and hike from the outlet of South Lake.

You didn't mention how far you like to hike. If we know that we can make some recommendations.

The area where we have the most problems with deaths is Kaaterskill Falls. This is mainly because people are careless. They leave the trail and climb up near some dangerous places. Visiting the bottom of the Kaaterskill Falls is very safe. Even visiting the top of the Falls from Laural House Road is safe. Just don't wade in the water near the top of the Falls, or hang onto saplings to look over the Falls. Some people have no fear of heights or danger. I always worry about those people.

Most of the trails are safe. Some are inappropriate for very young children who don't understand danger. But, some trails do follow the edge of ledges. Particularly, the Escarpment Trail. But, the Escarpment Trail has some of the best beauty. All 24 miles of it are spectacular. You can also do just a small section. Like to Bear's Den. There is also the trail around the lakes (about 2.5 miles). Very nice walk. There is also the trail to the old Kaaterskill Hotel. It is easy, wide, and gentle with no danger. There is also the new Rail Trail.

Your running shoes should be just fine for all the trails in this region.