If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bearpen & Vly 3/2/13

Bearpen Mtn, Cator Roundtop, Hog Mtn, Irish Mtn, Kip Hill, North Bearpen Mtn, Montgomery Hollow Mtn, Moresville Range (peak, SE, SW), Peak 3403, Pine Mtn, Red Kill Ridge, Shutice Mtn, South Bearpen Mtn, White Man Mtn
Jon

Bearpen & Vly 3/2/13

Unread post by Jon »

So I was supposed to go hiking with a few people but everyone bailed. I was headed up to Bearpen and Vly for my 3500 progress. I read about it on this website and looked for exactly where to park. I decided to go from the south from Rt.3 and go to Vly first. These were climb 35 and 36 for me.

Right when I got there I noticed that there was a lot of snow. In NJ there hasn't been snow on the ground for over 3 weeks, and I didn't have my snowshoes with me! I brought the crampons in case it started getting slippery and I started up the snowmobile trail.

Bearpen from the trail

The trail was well used, there were snowshoers ahead of me, and 4-6 snowmobiles buzzing around the mountains.

The cabin through the trees

The pictures I have are deceptive. I was following snowshoers, so the snow only looks to be a few inches deep. It about 1-2 feet deep though, and the snowshoers ahead of me just weren't sinking as much as I was. I could sort of stay on top if I moved fast and stepped where they did, but it was slow going.

A shot of Bearpen through the trees as I climbed up vly

The rime was nice.

Vly canister

After I went down past the cabin I just followed the snowmobile tracks up Bearpen

My right leg sunk in up to my knee, and my left is on top of the snow. Sometimes I would just hit a soft patch and sink.

On top of Bearpen I didn't get much of a view since a snow cloud was moving in and it was flying low

Around the summit the snowmobilers came to congregate. I didn't stick around for long, there was no view I just took a couple more pictures, ate my lunch and headed back down.

Vly from the trail down

TrunksWD

Re: Bearpen & Vly 3/2/13

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Great shots as always. You must be getting close to finishing. I was in the Catskills on Tuesday and it was at most a few inches of snow. If I do go one day this coming week I'll probably have to get my snowshoes out of my buddies car.
Jon

Re: Bearpen & Vly 3/2/13

Unread post by Jon »

Thanks trunks. Yah almost done only 3 left. Sherill Northdome and Grahm. Hopefully I'll be done by April. =)

And as Mike said in the other post....def bring both. There has been no snow down here in NJ but it's still full on winter in the mountains. I was sinking too much yesterday. It was over 2 feet deep in some places.

I much rather would have had my snowshoes. I had taken them out of my car when I had mechanic work done on it and forgot them in my garage. I'm just so used to them always being in the trunk. Now they're staying in my trunk until June!