If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Confessions of a "Peak-Bagger"

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Sam

Re: Confessions of a "Peak-Bagger"

Unread post by Sam »

William,

The crossing in Diamond Notch is pretty lax. You should be able to hop from one slab to another. Although I'm not sure what the flows are like, but I wouldn't be too concerned. A clear day on Westkill is a good day indeed!
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Sam,

Thanks. The first time I did Westkill the water level was super low I just crossed the rock below where the bridge use to be. It was just one little step over the water. If I go during the week the only question is if I need my snowshoes or not. If I do I'll have to leave earlier.
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

Hmm I'm not sure what the conditions are like. I did read that for on trail travel micro-spikes are sufficient as it is mostly solid crust at this point w/ a 1/2" or so of powder on top. For off trail travel snow shoes may be necessary, or helpful. Gotta just bring the stuff and assess the conditions when you get there. Westkill was one of my favorite hikes this winter!
mike

Unread post by mike »

I would bring both.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Sam, Mike, I'd bring both, too. I was out in the Taconics at the end of last week, and really regretted leaving my snowshoes in the truck. The trail was well compacted for the first mile or so up from the AMC camp at the CT/MA line, but up on the ridge from Bear to Everett the snow softened and I started to posthole. (I'm afraid I rather made a wreck of the snow surface, and abjectly apologize to any snowshoers who came after me!)
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.