If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

To Microspike....or not......

Recreational Gear. This includes, hiking boots, GPS, backpacks, kayaks, climbing gear, etc. Can also post items you would like to sell.
kkayaker8

To Microspike....or not......

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

I don't have them. I don't know if I want them. I don't know if they are really useful or just a fad.

Anyone have any personal advice on the matter? I'm looking at the Kahtoola Microspikes but had the conversation with an sales rep about how they don't actually have traction on the toe up front or the heel way back (where your foot sort of lands first). Then we looked at the Kahtoola K10 hiking crampons. I've always just used snowshoes when there's snow. If I ran into an icy patch, I got creative. I see their use in some spots....but a whole trail? I also have mountaineering crampons. (Plus I have my eyes on vertical crampons, I mean, how many pairs of crampons can one have!)

Thanks in advance!
mike

Re: To Microspike....or not......

Unread post by mike »

I find them valuable at the beginning and end of the season. I have run into conditions where crampons and snowshoes will not work. I use them quite a bit.
dpk

Unread post by dpk »

I just bought a pair and find them very useful for compacted snow and ice.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

I live in Microspikes in the winter. So much winter hiking in this part of the world goes over mixed ice and rock, at which Microspikes excel. Some others switch to full crampons long before I do, so you'll get a variety of answers here.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I use snow shoes the most. But, I will use microspikes if the snow is rock-hard or very thin. I always carry microspikes.