If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hike to KHP (west access)

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
mike

Hike to KHP (west access)

Unread post by mike »

Alexis and Mtnclimber met at the end of Gillipsie Road DEP parking lot to hike the KHP on the west access trail. Several hunters there, but we didn't see them. They are usually on the side trail. We bushwacked up the steep bank on the old horse trail. Hit the snowmobile trail after about a 1/2 mile. We then hit the west access trail after another 1/2 mile. It was a little difficult following the trail with the leaves gone, and the leaves on the path. Nice walk thru the conifer forest. I always enjoy the conifer forest. Alexis heard a bear snort in the conifer forest. Probably in the thick trees. Didn't see it, but I am sure it was there. Hiked up to the 3250 ledge. I always like the ledge.

We skipped the Tory fort, which was a mistake. We ended up in some thick conifers. Took a break by the hanging ledges. Then hiked up the banks of the KHP. Walked off the trail a couple of times. With the leaves down it was easy to do.

Hiked down to Hurricane Ledge. Ate lunch. The view was hazy. On our way up we ran into a nice couple who were hiking the north-to-south route. We talked for a while and moved on. We ran into another couple at the summit. They were with the other two people we had just ran into. They lost their map and about $80 with the map. We promised to look out for the map.

Alexis got a little cold, but was okay.

We headed down the north access side. There was snow and ice on the trail, so it was slippery in spots. Alexis had a hard time going down. The two guys on the top passed us, and then found their map & money.

When we hit the snowmobile trail, we had 1-1/4 hours to get back to the car before it got dark. We had to really move fast. Got past all the mud and water holes fairly quickly. Since it froze the night before the mud was stiff we missed some of the deep and soggy mud holes.

We got down the horse trail before it got dark. We put on our headlight on the last 1/4 mile. Didn't want any hunters to shoot us.
mtnclimber

Re: Hike to KHP (west access)

Unread post by mtnclimber »

WOW...What a great hike! I think that it is one of the best hikes in the Catskills. What a nice variety of terrain. I am still amazed that you have been able to keep this hiking trail secret. I suppose that if you didn't know the way around Round Top you would have a difficult time.

When you do this hike in the Winter, I want to go again!

I would like to do Hawkeye with you next week!
mike

Re: Hike to KHP (west access)

Unread post by mike »

I am still amazed that you have been able to keep this hiking trail secret.
Before the DEP opened up the area at the end of Gillipsie Road, getting there was very difficult. Kaaterskill Mtn Range is a very nice mtn range, but access has always been a problem. NYS DEC should really buy up more land to create more access. But, they have taken a backseat to the DEP.

Personally, I think it is one of the nicest hiking trails in the Catskills.

Yes, getting around Round Top Mtn is hard. I have tried many of the ledges, and hit dead-ends on many of them. Unless you get on the 3250 ledge, traveling is hard.

Glad to see you enjoyed it.

The weather this weekend doesn't look promising, so I am not sure about Hawkeye. I have wanted to do Hawkeye all year long, but something has always gotten in the way. Not sure about the path we have selected. Not sure how big the ledges will be, or how easy it will be to get down them. VERY likely, we will see bears. I suspect that there are some bear caves around the ledges. Granted, some of the bears are on the steep north walls below the Falls.