If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Snow?

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Jon

Snow?

Unread post by Jon »

So is this warmer weather melting all the snow at elevation?
I see 50s on the schedule for tomorrow =(
Supposed to go snowshoe/skiing this monday but don't know if we'll be able to without any snow.
kkayaker8

Re: Snow?

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

It was warm up here today, but there is certainly snow on the ski mountains, my drive way, and my yard.....last weekend even with snow on the hiking trails, I was able to go w/o snowshoes for much of the way up since the trails were so hard packed from all the activity on them.....ice climbing conditions on the other hand, eh, I've seen better....
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

no we'd rather not encounter ice. My friend needs at least a foot or more snow in order to ski. If there isn't enough he'll scratch up his skiis to much on the rocks. We're not planning on going to a maintained slope either, probably a back country trail.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Hiked Dutcher's Notch on Saturday and there was no more than 3-5 inches most of the time, with many areas with no snow. I wouldn't count on the skis, sorry!
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Yah I stayed home and was working on a video from my last hike. 30 hours and it's almost done!

Anyways my buddy went up to Bellayre cause he has a pass there and he said it was all just wet slush, and he didn't see enough snow anywhere beside the slopes.

Guess we're gonna have to wait for another good snowstorm. Where's one of those Nor'easters when you want one?
Wolfie2nd

Unread post by Wolfie2nd »

Sorry to jack your thread..... I was also wondering about the current conditions as well... I've. Got a pair of Altai hok skies arriving at my house any day now and wanted to try some ski shoeing...
thanks
Doug
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Not much snow right now. Maybe 1-6" depending on where you are. Maybe tomorrow we'll get some more. We do need more snow.
Wolfie2nd

Unread post by Wolfie2nd »

Man I don't know if I like our new winter norm........ I was just up in the skills like 2 3 weeks ago and had knee to hip deep snow in some places. I was hoping that would be a base layer for future snow..
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

^ I hear yah Wolfie. It was pretty nice 3 weeks ago, or was it four? Shortly after Christmas we had that awesome storm, but it got blasted away by the warm weather two weeks ago.

Two days ago I climbed Lone/Rocky and there was some moderately deep snow once we left the fisherman's path, but nothing knee/hip deep. The new "norm" is unfortunate!
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

It looks like the Catskills will finally get a big snow storm. Suppose to be 10 to 18 inches of snow where I am a couple hours south, so I'm hoping for similar numbers in the Catskills. Hopefully I will finally get a chance to use my new Snowshoes.