If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Snow?

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
daveoleary

Re: Snow?

Unread post by daveoleary »

Made it up Slide on Thursday. Saw one other guy on the mountain. Beautiful day, sun and quite clear most of the day. Came down to Curtis-Ornsbee and broke trail on the way down. Some of the ledges were great fun. Probably 12-18" on top. I expect the main trail is pretty well packed down after this weekend.

I plan to be out again on Sunday and Monday. Has anyone been up Plateau in the last few days (from Elka Park)? Wondering how much snow and how icy it is . . .

thanks,
dave
mike

Unread post by mike »

Last weekend, I was told it was quite icy. But, with the snow we got last week, it should be much better.
Moosie

Unread post by Moosie »

I am also wondering about snow, and specifically ice! Trying to plan a 3 day trip in the Slide Mountain area, we're thinking of doing Wittenberg, Cornell, Slide, and maybe Table (Mon-Wed). We have yaktrax/microspikes and that's it. Is there enough ice (esp in the Wittenberg/Cornell area) that this is a foolish plan? Any ideas on what conditions are like with all the freezing and thawing?
mike

Unread post by mike »

We were out today. We used microspikes where there was snow. Icy in some spots. Slushy snow in other. But, above 1800 feet there was all snow. You will need microspikes.Would prefer snow shoes to microspikes. But, microspikes will do the job.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

what kinda snow? Was it 50's yesterday in Hunter? Is the snow melting? Maybe winter will be out by 4/15? What about in a couple weeks? Will I still need the snowshoes? Gotta do last peak Ne INFO Will be of great assistance.
mike

Unread post by mike »

A lot of snow is melting. The snow level seems to be around 2,000' today. By the weekend, the snow pack should be around 2,500'. Just depends how hot it gets, and how much sun we get. I expect that all of it will not melt until late April.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Still snow at 2,000' now. Maybe by the weekend, it will be above 2,000'. I just wish the snow would go away.
Moosie

Unread post by Moosie »

There was at least two feet of snow on the summit of Slide as of Tuesday afternoon (thanks, Mike, for recommending snowshoes!) The trail going up the west side was nicely packed down, but no one had been down the east side for quite some time. Probably for good reason, we found out. We camped in the saddle between Slide and Cornell, but were feeling a little out of our element, so turned around and went back the way we came rather than try to go over Cornell and Wittenberg. Probably shoulda had a rope (well, a better rope than the bear-bag rope). One of our group was wearing crampons, and seemed to be doing better than those of us with just microspikes on the scrambly bits. Really pretty up there right now, though!
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Hi all, any snow updates? I'm thinking of doing Wittenberg on Saturday if the weather holds out. (They keep flip flopping the forecast between partial cloudy and rain)

Thanks!
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

It looks like it's just above freezing in the towns today, so it could possibly turn to snow in the higher elevations. I was hiked Doubletop around this time last year and when were at the top of a snow storm hit, but even though it was later in the day by the time we got back to the car it was raining.