If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Snow?

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Jon

Re: Snow?

Unread post by Jon »

TrunksWD wrote:It looks like the Catskills will finally get a big snow storm. Suppose to be 10 to 18 inches of snow where I am a couple hours south, so I'm hoping for similar numbers in the Catskills. Hopefully I will finally get a chance to use my new Snowshoes.
batten down the hatches!
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Local weather types say the eastern catskills will get 2 feet of snow. :D I probably will not be smiling if I have to break trail. :o
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

well we got 13 inches by me. How much in the mountains?
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

I'm with Jon... Would love to know how much is up there!

We got almost 40 inches at the Fairfield to New Haven county line in CT!
kkayaker8

Unread post by kkayaker8 »

6-8 inches....certainly more at at the peaks, but not as much as we were predicted to get....disappointing....
mike

Unread post by mike »

On the northeast side of the catskills we got over a 1' of snow. More on the peaks. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Wolfie2nd

Unread post by Wolfie2nd »

And now I'm sure its all gone now that I'm leaving thursday to head up.. Can't win and can't stand this stupid warm winter
Wolfie2nd

Re: Snow? thread jacking one more time

Unread post by Wolfie2nd »

I was wondering what the current trail conditions are??? (Escarpment Trail) and also what is a good weather station to get a solid weather forecast???
mike

Unread post by mike »

1-2' of snow. 2-3' above 3500'. The snow is packed down well. Snowshoes recommended, but some people did it with microspikes last weekend.'

BUT, it all depends upon how much snow we get over the next couple of days. This coming weekend it will be in the 40's.

I usually go to weather.gov (NOAA). I put in Tannersville, NY or where ever I am going. Then I subtract 5 degrees for the summits.
daveoleary

Re: Snow? expected conditions week of March 18 2013?

Unread post by daveoleary »

hi -
plenty warm down here in Maryland but it looks like there was some pretty good snow in the Catskills last week and the forecast looks like daytime melting and overnight freezing for the next several days. I hope to make it up there next week and wanted to get a read on current and anticipated conditions. Not sure where I will hike yet . . .I don't mind snow / ice but would like to avoid high stream crossings from snowmelt and would also like to avoid damaging trails in the mud. I know it is tough to predict what things will look like 10 days from now but if anyone can share info about how deep the snow is at 3000'+ and how fast it seems to be melting, I would appreciate it. I have not made it up Slide in winter and this is probably my first choice just to get it checked off the list. Thanks!
dave