If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

North-South Lake

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

North-South Lake

Unread post by mike »

Over the past month or two my knee has been bothering me. I have been out a couple times for short hikes around North-South Lake. I even did part of the Escarpment Trail a number of times. But, each time my knee still hurt when I got done. Today, my knee seems to have healed.

Today we hiked around North-South lake and then took the old mountain bike trail up to the 3rd ledge trail. Had to break trail the entire way. We then hiked down the 3rd Ledge trail. Nice day out. We got to the PA around 11 am. Only one car was in the lot. I guess there were lots of hung over people. Great for us.

It was cloudy and slightly windy most of the day. Never had a good opportunity for some good photos. But, I had a good time.

North Lake from the Yellow Trail

We hadn't hiked up the Mountain Bike Trail in a couple of years. Somehow we got confused part way up, but still found our way. I had to break trail all the way up. It was a little tiring, but my knee didn't hurt. The 3rd Ledge trail is always magical. Had an enjoyable day.

By the time we got back to the car, the PA was full. Next week, we'll have to try a bigger hike.
cgeigel

Re: North-South Lake

Unread post by cgeigel »

It's been my observation that New Year's Day is always a GREAT day to hike due to very few people. :D
mike

Unread post by mike »

Especially if you show up early in the morning.
Mitch

Unread post by Mitch »

Hiya Mike. Hope that knee heals up nicely.

I'm not familiar with the North South Lake area. Usually I hike with just one buddy of mine, but he wants me to help him organize an overnight camp with no more than 10 friends. We are looking at late March and I know most official campsites are closed until May. We are looking for a large campsite, not far from the parking lot, with close access to some trails. I had Alder Lake in mind, by Balsam Lake Mountain, but North South Lake would be closer for everyone. What do you think?

Thanks and be well,
-Mitch
mike

Unread post by mike »

Most of the NYS campgrounds are still closed by the end of March. By the end of April, they would be open. North-South lake campgrounds us the best one. Or, at least, I think so. By-the-way, you cannot use the campsites when the campground is closed.

Your best bet would be a NYS Lean-To. There are lots of them out there. But, some of them are a 1/2 mile in. Sometimes several miles in. A Lean-To can sleep about 6 people. And, it is first-come-first-serve. The option is to camp off some of the remote access roads. Something like the South Mtn access or the Ashland Pinnacle Access. Or, maybe Huntersfield.

Your other option would be to setup a campsite on NYS land. You just have to make sure that you are 150' from a trail, road, or stream. Some place like Colgate Lake might also be good.

All of this is assuming that there is no snow on the ground.
Mitch

Unread post by Mitch »

Ok, thanks Mike!