If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hike to Johnson's Point & Buttermilk Falls

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
mike

Hike to Johnson's Point & Buttermilk Falls

Unread post by mike »

We planned on hiking from the DEP parking lot to Johnson's Point and Buttermilk Falls. Alexis and I got a late start (noon time). Missed the horse trail up the hill to the junction of the snowmobile trail.

When we got to the snowmobile trail, there was a tree down, and it hit the sign. As we moved along the north side of the snowmobile trail, we encountered more downed trees. Now there must be 50 trees down on the trail. Since it had rained, there was more water and mud on the snowmobile trail then normal.

Since it was warm and we were moving fast, Alexis got too hot and decided that a shirt really wasn't necessary or desired. No one was hiking there, so everyone missed out on a golden opportunity. I, on the other hand, had my fleece on, and was comfortable. But, I am in much better shape then she is. By the time we reached the north access trail to KHP it was getting late.

We started down the trail to Johnson's Point and Buttermilk Falls. We got part way down, and stopped to calculate how much time we had. We decided that we probably didn't have enough time to get back to the car before dark. I had a head-light but Alexis didn't. So, we baled on the hike. I was rather disappointed.

Ran into a bow-n-arrow hunter near the parking lot. Was looking for a large black bear. I asked which one, since there are about a dozen on top of Round Top. More on the sides. He was looking for a large 550 pound male. Again, which one. There are several. We did see an active bear cave on the way back. It was down near the snowmobile trail below Round Top Mtn.
mtnclimber

Re: Hike to Johnson's Point & Buttermilk Falls

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Since they stopped the commercial operation of ATV's and snowmobiles, no one is taking care of the trail. NYNJ TC is suppose to take care of it, but this is not happening. They need a chainsaw crew to come in. Maybe they should just move the trail since the ATV's have ruined the trail.

Sorry to hear that your hike could not be finished.
alexis

Re: Hike to Johnson's Point & Buttermilk Falls

Unread post by alexis »

Okay, I was HOT, and my shirt was wet.