If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Delmura & Five Cascades

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Delmura & Five Cascades

Unread post by mike »

On Sunday, my last minute plans was to hike down to Delmura Falls and up to the base of the Five Cascades. I came down the old Rip Van Winkle Trail Road and followed the water down to the top of Delmura Falls. It was very steep and difficult. But, it put me above Delmura Falls, which are difficult to climb above.

I then hiked up to the base of the Five Cascades. There is a major rock slide down to the base. It is about 300' vertical feet high and 200' feet wide. The rock slide flowed into Kaaterskill Creek. I then hiked up a ways until it became too difficult to do alone.

Just above Delmura Falls

Rock Slide

Five Cascades off in the distance

Near the base of the Five Cascades

Near the base of the Five Cascades
kennykb

Re: Delmura & Five Cascades

Unread post by kennykb »

Looks like you had a great time! Sandy put the kibosh on me for a while. My family on LI are wiped out. (The people are all OK, but several relatives took damage and at least one house is a total loss.) Starting to think about breaking out the microspikes, once everyone's a little bit more settled.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
mtnclimber

Re: Delmura & Five Cascades

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Sorry to hear about your family. That really sucks that they lost their home.

Would like to see a picture of the Five Cascades if you guys can get up to the base. Those rocks look rugged. The landslide is scary looking. Hope you didn't hike on it.