If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Good 18-24 Mile Hike

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Wendelator

Good 18-24 Mile Hike

Unread post by Wendelator »

Hello i am looking for a good 18-24 mile hike,for the second week of NOV. I have maps for the entire park along with a guide.We have a small group of 4, very experienced hikers/climbers. My only concern is the availabilty of water sources. We have no problem deviating from the trail to obtain water.I have not hiked the Catskills, (have done the Daks), so any beta would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wen
Seek To Inspire Others.
Sam

Re: Good 18-24 Mile Hike

Unread post by Sam »

Hey, The Catskills abound in plenty of great water sources. The rains that we receive this time of year always replenish the seasonal springs and small rivulets/tributaries that run along side of most trails in the park, so finding water will not be difficult.

As far as an 18-24 mile trail goes, you have a few options...

The Devils Path
The Escarpment Trail
The Dry Brook Ridge Trail

Personally I would hike either the Devils Path, or The Escarpment Trail. The Dry Brook Ridge is nice, but does not afford as many views as the Escarpment, or Devils Path. I would mess around on google and pull up beta for these trails to help you and your party decide which will be the best.

Happy Trails

-Sam