If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Balsam 10-13

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
Jon

Balsam 10-13

Unread post by Jon »

So went for a hike up Balsam. The leaves were spectacular. It only took us 3 hours to make it up and around. We were going at a breakneck pace since we hadn't left NJ until 9, and didn't start hiking until 11:30. Still was nice to catch some of the fall foliage. I used my circular polarizer to make some of the duller colors pop a bit more.

The trail diversion from the stream is much improved since the last time I was here.

mine hollow

Me looking up at a hugely tall pine

This is what I was looking at

A tree swallowing its marker

Intersection with little more than 1 mile to go.

The climb comes to this slight viewpoint

From the tops of those rocks

Into the pines

snow

hanging out at the viewpoint

Summit

Then the hike back down was just tons more color

The lean-to is a leanin-too much. I would be scared to sleep in a parrallelogram
mike

Re: Balsam 10-13

Unread post by mike »

Saturday was beautiful. Nice cobalt blue skies. Looks like you had the best foliage. Most of the places in the NE catskills have lost most of their foliage. Foliage was an elevation event this year. In Tannersville this weekend, the leaves were gone. But, down at Huckleberry Point there were still leaves. Still leaves in the Kaaterskill Clove.

Balsam Mtn can be boring at times. But, from your wonderful pictures it looked fantastic.
SNEAKers

Unread post by SNEAKers »

Great pics and great color! Looks like a really nice hike!
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

Great photos. It looks like I'll be doing this hike on Friday as long as the weather is good. Has the bridge towards the beginning been rebuilt? The first time I tried to do Balsam from Rider Hollow the bridge was out and there was no way across the stream without getting wet.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

I did not post all the pics here more can be found at my picasa (link in signature). Here is the new bridge which is close to the parking area.

This is the first crossing of the stream, and probably the one where you might have gotten wet.

After this bridge the trail is rerouted up the hill to the north, to bypass the washed out section from Irene. They even moved the trail intersesction up on the hill. The bridge on the red path is still there, (the one I can just barely fit my shoulders through)

There are several stream crossings between the summit and the lean-to along the red trail that there are no bridges, but the gaps are small and easily crossed in low water.
TrunksWD

Unread post by TrunksWD »

It must have been the first bridge that was out. Thanks for the pictures. I guess I'll save those stream crossings for the end just in case.