If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Countryman Kill Falls from Winter Clove Inn

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Countryman Kill Falls from Winter Clove Inn

Unread post by mike »

Last Saturday we planned on hiking to Huckleberry Point. But, before we headed up the road, we wanted to visit Plattekill Falls. We had receivede 6-to-7.5 inches of rain during the week. When we got down to Plattekill Falls, it was flowing quite well. That was when I discovered that I forgot my memory card in my camera.

Okay...time for Plan B. We headed back and picked up another camera. Now it was getting late, so we decided on hiking from Winter Clove Inn to Countryman Kill Falls. It is an easy 1-3/4 mile hike from the Inn to Countryman Kill Creek.

We stopped and took some pictures of the waterfalls, and then headed back.

Here are some pictures:

Bridge over Artist Falls - Several hundred feet from Winter Clove Inn

Trail near the waterfalls - entering old settlement

Old settlement near waterfall #3

Trail that runs along waterfalls - trail to the right takes you down to waterfall #2

Beautiful trail that runs along the Countryman Kill Creek - About 50-100 above the five waterfalls

Countryman Kill Falls #1

Countryman Kill Falls #1

Countryman Kill Falls #2

Countryman Kill Falls #2

Countryman Kill Falls #2

Countryman Kill Falls #3

Countryman Kill Falls #3

Countryman Kill Falls #3

Countryman Kill Falls #4

Countryman Kill Falls #4

Countryman Kill Falls #5

Countryman Kill Falls #5

It should be noted that CK Falls #4 and #5 are connected. There is also another 10' cascade below #5.
rkugel

Re: Countryman Kill Falls from Winter Clove Inn

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike,

Were these shots taken with your new Canon? They are gorgeous!!

Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

No, Rich, it is my old Sony Cybershot DSLR camera. Only 8mp. But, a real lens. Handled color well, but like all Sony products, it has CA problems.

I was a little hurried because the day was getting old. If I had more time, I could get some much better shots.

I haven't received my new Canon T3i yet. Seems that the place where I bought it, didn't have it in stock. Even though the web site said it was in stock. Seems it is being shipped from California. It had "free" shipping. Before I was done, I paid another 40+ dollars for shipping. Maybe have it by tomorrow. If I wanted true "free" shipping it will take 2-3 weeks to receive. As you can tell, I am annoyed by this "camera shop".

I want to take you to these waterfalls. I think both of us can get better shots then these.

I am going to also buy some HDR software (Photomatrix Pro). I think it should help with the waterfalls.
Peakbagr

Unread post by Peakbagr »

Wow, what gorgeous photos.
mike

Unread post by mike »

These pictures don't do justice to this incredibly beautiful hike. These waterfalls are a couple hundred feet from the Stork Nest Road PA, but there is private property in the way. So, the easiest way is to hike in from Winter Clove Inn. From the 5 waterfalls you can hike up the old logging road to the base of Stoppel Point. Goes through some very beautiful conifers. Then you hike down to Little Stoppel Point. Another incredible area.

We need to do this hike sometime.