If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

3rd Ledge - escarpment

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
ssjamk65

3rd Ledge - escarpment

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

On Fri. Sept. 14 my brother and I headed over to the Mountain House site to pick up the 3rd Ledge Trail. We stopped and explored the area where the Mountain House barns used to be and then headed up the trail. ( found a small well I had never seen before) I had never hiked this unmarked trail before but had heard good things about it from this website and it did not dissapoint. We checked out the old Mnt. House water tower as well as Puddingstone Hall and Druid rocks and then continued over to the Kaaterskill Hotel stage road. We took the stage road up to the Kaaterskill Hotel site and took the trail around the hotel grounds by the Annex, pond, and cistern. We then took the trail along the clove past Inspiration Point and Layman's Monument and onto Kaaterskill Falls. From here we hit the old Kaaterskill Laundry site near the end of Schutt road and then followed the old rail line back to S. Lake. Instead of taking the nice two track along the lake we headed up the hill and took the other rail line so we could stop and see the water tower. From there it was back to the campsite. We saw a few other hikers up near the Kaaterskil Hotel site but that was it. Overall a great hike. Loved the 3rd ledge trail. I did not realize until I read Mike's report of his hike that he took a few days after ours that the Third Ledge Trail doesn't end at the stage road but actually crosses it and continues on towards Schutt Road. I'll have to check that part of the trail out another day.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Re: 3rd Ledge - escarpment

Unread post by mike »

The 3rd ledge is such a sweet trail. After you get to the hotel road, you walk up hill for a couple hundred feet. When the hotel road turns to the left, look for an opening on the right. This is the OTHER side of the 3rd ledge trail. Not as well traveled, but still nice. It comes out by the 4-corners near the end of Scutt Road.

The Pine Orchard is a true treasure. And, so many people never even know that it is there.

Your route is a real good route. Get to see so much in a short distance. KF must have been flowing well too.

Great pics!
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Pine Orchard and the 3rd ledge trail are fabulous! The 3rd ledge trail seems to be preferred in the Winter for some reason. But, I am sure there are people hiking it in the summer too.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Where can I get a copy of the topo map in your thread?
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

It looks as if it's an older (1970s?) version of what is currently the inset on NY/NJ Trail Conference Map #141: "Northeastern Catskill Trails." Not all the points of interest are on the current trail map. One of these months I'm going to take the time to download the scan of the old Arrowhead trail map (http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/maps-11.html) and georeference it, so that it'll display on a smartphone or a GPS that can handle GeoTIFF or GeoPDF maps. For all the times I've been up to North-South Lakes, I haven't actually poked around the Pine Orchard that much. I haven't even been to Alligator Rock for the obligatory selfie. Having a map that shows the points of interest in there would help.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Thanks for the link. That map will help.
kennykb

Unread post by kennykb »

Warning: It's 65 years old. Not all the trails are even there anymore.
I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am. I'm right here.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Right! I'm fairly familiar with the area, but there's always something new to find.
ssjamk65

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

The topo map that I used was from an old Mountain Top Historical Society newsletter from around 1980. The map was originally from Walking News INC. and has a date of 1975. The map is labeled " Map NO.35- Kaaterskill Clove & North Lake Campsite, Haines Falls, Palenville section". I did a quick google search for it but came up empty.
dundee

Unread post by dundee »

Thanks, I'll check with MTHS next time I'm thru.