If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Spruce Creek

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
ssjamk65

Spruce Creek

Unread post by ssjamk65 »

On Wednesday of last week, ( 9/12), my brother Jim and I decided to give our aching knees a break and take a much shorter hike. We parked at the lot at the top of Schutt Road and headed up the trail towards Mary's Glen. After a hundred yards or so we took a left into the woods and bushwacked our way over towards Spruce Creek. We came across the old Mountain House water pipes and followed them the rest of the way to the creek. We spent some time exploring the water shed and also the foundations from the York Farm that appears on Van Loans map from 1879. The foundations are on the west side of the creek and are only about 50-75 yards from the water shed. The map appears to be dead on accurate as far as the locations of the buildings. We used the old road from the farm to return to N. Lake Rd. It was easy to follow even though it did have some downed trees that you have to go over or around. If I ever go back to visit the water shed again I will definately take the old farm road.

That afternoon we headed down to the Poughkeepsie RR bridge to check out the walking - biking trail. I included a picture of the distant view of the Catskills from the east side of the bridge.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtnclimber

Re: Spruce Creek

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I know that Mike did a hike up there last year to the Water House. I think he then hiked up to Stoppel Point. Don't remember the road or the foundations.
mike

Re: Spruce Creek

Unread post by mike »

I didn't follow the road up, but I did know about it. My goal was to get to Stoppel Point & North Mountain.

Nice pictures of the water house. It is very nice hiking in there. I went when the leaves on the trees were down.