If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Eagle Mtn with Albany YMCA

Balsam Mtn (3602), Beaver Kill Range, Big Indian Mtn, Eagle, Hayes, Hirams Knob, Fir, Hemlock, High Falls Ridge, Mongaup, Sand Pond Mtn, Spruce, Willowemoc, Winnisock Lake Mt,
mike

Eagle Mtn with Albany YMCA

Unread post by mike »

My computer crashed about a week ago, as I was starting to put together my trip report of the YMCA hike to Eagle. It took me about a week to get everything back. So, this Trip Report is a late.

On July 21, 2012 we did a hike with 11 YMCA members to Eagle Mountain. We also thought about doing Big Indian, but scrubbed that plan at last minute.

We started out at the Seager Trail Head around 9 AM. We hiked up the trail and then had to deal with the storm damage from Hurricane Irene. While weaving our way up the stream, we missed the side trail off the trail up to Eagle. We ended up doing a 1 mile side trip. Once back on the trail, we headed up the mountain side to the pass between Eagle and Big Indian Mountain. It was humid and the air wasn't moving. When we got up to the pass, we took a small little break. The wind picked up a little which helped. We then headed up to the summit of Eagle.

On the summit, we had lunch. We then headed back down. We stopped at the stream at the Lean-To, and sat on the stone seats on the stream. We then headed back down. Overall, we hike 9.7 miles.

Normally, this time of the year, the valley is littered with butterflies. But, due to the drought, there were very few butterflies. But, there were many caterpillars, so we will see a butterfly recovery next year.

On our way back down we stopped at some waterfalls. They are about 100' off the trail. If we had time I could have gotten down into the ravine and took some great photographs. I will need to return again to get some great ones.

Here are a few pictures:

Beginning of the trail from the parking lot

Lean-To by the stream

Red Admiral Butterly

Trail on the way up

Trail to the summit

Summit of Eagle

Creek crossing on the way back down to the parking lot

Waterfalls on the trail up to the pass

Beginning of the waterfalls - Maybe 30' in total
mtnclimber

Re: Eagle Mtn with Albany YMCA

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Never seen these waterfalls. How do I get to them?