If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Spring Water

General Topics about Hiking in the Catskill Mountains that are not trail related
Indiana7272

Spring Water

Unread post by Indiana7272 »

Question for some of you more experienced hikers from a n00b: Is the water from the springs marked on the trails and maps OK to drink without treatment?
mike

Re: Spring Water

Unread post by mike »

Most water sources in the Catskill do not have problems with viruses and bacteria. But, it is never a good idea to drink out of them without filtering. If the spring source is covered, it is considered "safe". You can never guarantee that a water source is safe, but I have never heard of anyone getting sick from one. Hope this answers your question.
Indiana7272

Unread post by Indiana7272 »

Thanks Mike, figured there would be no guarantee but just wanted to double check.
mike

Unread post by mike »

There are some hikers who take water right out of streams without filtering it, and they never get sick. I got sick from a serious bacterial germ in a restaurant. I ended up in the hospital. Having been on the bad side of risk taking, I personally would not use unfiltered water from a stream. But, I would probably use water from a covered pipe. It all depends upon the risk you are willing to take.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

I have never heard of anyone getting sick from the streams. There are a couple of guys who have been drinking from streams for years. I'm not willing to take that chance. I think the pipes are okay if they come out of the mountain. But, If I was thirsty enough, I would probably drink out of a stream. Just depends on how desperate I am.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

Well mike's right there isn't much risk of viruses like montezuma's revenge in our waters. It's a bit cold for most of them. However cryptosporidium (sp?) and giardia are in NJ and I'm sure in NY as well.

Well here's what the DEC has to say (about giardia they had nothing on cryptosporidium)

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9973.html

some quotes:

"Swallowing as few as ten parasites can cause the infection. "

"in the stools of many animals, including rodents, dogs, cats, cattle, and wild animals...such as beavers and muskrats, have been found to be infected with Giardia"

I'd say Catskills surface water is at giardia risk. The pipe springs maybe safer, I would still filter it though. It may be spring water...but who knows what end of what animals touched that pipe?
mike

Unread post by mike »

There were a group that went around the Catskills and ADKs and tested the water and found nothing for several years. You also have to remember that the water in the reservoirs are not filtered. But, having said that, the water further down towards the reservoirs are safer then water higher up. The idea behind it is that once the water moves downhill, it has the ability to disperse.

But, like you said, there is always a risk. If you have a filter, you would be wise to use it. Even with a very small risk.