If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Hike Round Top Mountain

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
mike

Hike Round Top Mountain

Unread post by mike »

Tried to hike Round Top Mountain today. Last night it snowed a few inches. Got up to about 3350', but could not get up one of the ledges because of the snow. Walked all the way around the ledge looking for an accessible point. Couldn't find one. Back tracked to the 3250 Ledge and started to go to the Tory Fort.

There were about a dozen bear tracks. Rather scary by the number. Four of the bear tracks were mother/cub tracks. One of the dens is right next to the access to the 3250 Ledge.

When I got onto the Saddle, I had a large male black bear tracks in front of me. They were very fresh. Didn't really want to be stalking a male black bear, so I turned around. Sort of disappointing.

This is really a nice hike in the winter if you want to get to Kaaterskill High Peak.

there is a lot of small animals around Round Top Mtn. Did see a small fisher tracks below the Snowmobile Loop Trail back to the DEP parking lot. He was hopping across a log.
mtnclimber

Re: Hike Round Top Mountain

Unread post by mtnclimber »

The snow should melt soon, but our hiking of steep peaks will end soon. Then we will have to hike the easy trails by snowshoes. I did see the new hike of the Tory Fort from the west access. Need to try that hike.
dave

Unread post by dave »

Maybe you should have done Slide? I knew there were bears up there, but didn't realize how many. How about Hawkeye next time?
alexis

Unread post by alexis »

Hawkeye sounds good to me. Maybe from Devil's Kitchen to Palenville? Mike talked to me about it. About 6 miles?