If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Little Quarry Carriage Trail - NSL to Winter Clove

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Little Quarry Carriage Trail - NSL to Winter Clove

Unread post by mike »

Few people are aware of this quiet little trail that runs from North-South Lake to Winter Clove. The hike starts at South Lake Parking Area. We hiked up the north side of North-South Lake. You could hike up the south side if you choose to. We then took the Sleepy Hollow Trail (Mountain House Road). We hiked past the trail junction to Palenville Overlook and before the first big hairpin turn. Just before the hairpin turn there is a small little trail on the left. It runs below the Eastern Escarpment and below North Point. The trail runs a fairly level grade and is easy to hike. But, since the trail is very rarely used, it is hard to follow. It runs just above Rip's Ledge. We missed the turn off to visit the Rip's Ledge. We had planned on visit Rip's Ledge for lunch. We then hiked down the mellow hillside to Winter Clove. It was an easy 6 mile hike that descends 1,000'. The only difficult part is following the trail. It also requires two cars. We recommend this hike for the Spring or Fall when the leaves are not on the trees. Also keep in mind that there are deer ticks in this region, so don't sit or lie in the leaves.

On the way to drop off a car at Winter Clove Resort we saw a horse standing in someone's driveway without someone around. Very odd and surreal. We dropped off a car at the Winter Clove Resort (with permission from the front desk). They told us where to park our car. We then headed up to North-South Lake Campground. During the Winter you can enter the campground and park at the bottom of South Lake without paying for access. We parked at the parking lot at the bottom of South Lake. You can park just inside the park, but we chose to park in the second parking lot.

We then hiked across the north side of North-South Lake while following the DEC Yellow Trail. Easy level hike. Once we got to the bathrooms, we hiked up the field and took the hidden little trail over near the Escarpment Trail. We then bushwhacked about 50' from the yellow trail to the Escarpment Trail. We then headed south on the Escarpment Trail. There was a group of people near the overlook on the Escarpment Trail. We didn't realize it was a funeral until we were in the middle of the group. They probably were not expecting anyone to come down the trail. We apologized to the Marine Honor Guards on the other side.

We then turned left onto the Sleepy Hollow Trail (Mountain House Road). We then passed the trail junction to Palenville Overlook Trail. Just before we reached the first hairpin turn, there is a small unmarked trail on the left. We then started on the Little Quarry Carriage Trail. This trail runs parallel to the Eastern Escarpment. You can look way up and see the very steep wall of the Eastern Escarpment. The trail was difficult to follow at time. In some places the trail was overgrown. Other places it was hard to tell where the trail is. But, this is the charm of this hike. Rarely used and beautiful easy hike.

We then cross the Sleepy Hollow Brook. We were suppose to branch off the trail and visit Rip's Ledge and have lunch. We were not paying attention and hiked up the hill while following the trail. We planned on having lunch at Rip's Ledge. But, that didn't happen. We then started the gradual descent down into Winter Clove.

When we got towards Winter Clove we took a left at the trail junction and hiked up the trail. We then took a right at the trail junction to Winter Clove Falls Trail. Hiked across the two golf course greens. We then hiked down the road to the Winter Clove resort.

Here are some pictures:
Photo taken from the parking area at the bottom of South Lake

Photo taken from the east side of North Lake - KHP and Roundtop in the background

Trail Junction from Sleepy Hollow Trail to the Little Quarry Carriage Trail

Flowers peaking through the leaves

Fungus climbing up the tree

Coming down from Rip's Ledge into Winter Clove

Coming down from Rip's Ledge into Winter Clove

Trail Junction near the end of the hike

Near the end of the hike
Jon

Re: Little Quarry Carriage Trail - NSL to Winter Clove

Unread post by Jon »

mike wrote: It was an easy 6 mile hike...
You know you're a hiker when you say things like this. LOL Most people don't consider 6 miles easy, no matter what the grade.

Strange that marines would be there. Scatter ashes? I know that people sometimes do that. No place better than that escarpment.

Nice pics, and nice hike. Looks like not much green, buuuuut....

How are the ticks? Not so many....? Or is it a tick boom cause of the mild winter? I've seen a lot, not on me but my friends and family (lol like a cellphone plan) have had tons.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The word, "Easy" means different things to different folks. For the Catskills it was easy. But, you are right, some people wouldn't see this as an easy hike. Especially, pushing our way through mountain Laural. When i got done, I wanted to do another hike.

I think the Marine Honor Guards were there because he might have been killed in Afghanistan. Just a guess.

No leaves coming out. Just a few flowers trying to poke up. Always like to bushwhack when the leaves are not on the trees.

There are ticks on the lower eastern escarpment. Primarily because there are lots of rodents. Ticks cannot survive without mice and voles. There are basically no mice and voles on the mountain tops. So, no ticks on the majority of the Catskill Mountain hikes. But, below the eastern escarpment, there are quite a few ticks. Never got any while hiking. But, once we stopped for lunch and I was sitting in the leaves, that is one jumped onto my pants. The mild winter will not affect them. Once it gets below 22 degrees, they will hibernate below the leaves until it gets warm.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Never heard of this trail? Looks like a nice route.

I had a friend who was hunting below WHP last year and said that the deer ticks were terrible. I guess the eastern escarpment is loaded. Or, at least below the top of the escarpment.
johnpogrady

Unread post by johnpogrady »

Thanks for posting this account. After reading it, I was inspired to check it out myself the next day. Years ago I tried following this trail off the old Mountain House turnpike but lost it after about a quarter mile or so because it was summer and the vegetation obscured the view. This time I was able to follow it--thanks to your directions--but it presented some navigational challenges, especially with the downed trees from Irene. After crossing the creek that drops into Sleepy Hollow I contoured over to Rip's Ledges. A sweet place. Found lots of signs of peregrines. Wildflowers coming into bloom, especially violets and a few wake-robin. Cherries too.
mike

Unread post by mike »

We too had difficulty about 1/4 mile in. The trail through the Mountain Laurel was thick. Finally, we just pushed thru, and were back on our way. We cleared several hundred branches along the way, so it was even worse. You have to be careful on this trail. Easy to lose your way. Best if done when the leaves are down, or if you know the way.

I was really disappointed that we missed Rip's Ledges. I really wanted to see them. We just were not paying attention and missed them. Glad to hear that someone got to visit them. Makes me want to go back.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

If I remember correctly there are a lot of trails around Rip's Ledge. I saw some old maps that showed lots of trails around that area. Never been there, but I have always wanted to go. Rip Van Winkle was a popular attraction back in the 1800's. Probably had a lot of guest at Winter Clove Hotel visited the ledges and wondered around.

Many years ago there was a cash prize for finding Rip's Rock. No one ever found it.