If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Trail condiditons for this weekend

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
dohdoh

Trail condiditons for this weekend

Unread post by dohdoh »

I'm looking to do a day hike this weekend. I'm curious to know if anyone has any recent updates on trail conditions? I read a lot recently about ice covered trails. Anyone been out anywhere recently>
mike

Re: Trail condiditons for this weekend

Unread post by mike »

Yeah, last Sunday up to Lucas Kill Falls. The wet snow froze harder then concrete and hiking was challenging. Especially the post holes from people who hiked up there when it was wet. We were disappointed, and only hiked 3.25 miles. The weather kind of sucked too.

Today, it was in the 50s and some of the snow melted. Tomorrow, it will be in the 60s and the snow will melt more. By this weekend there will still be snow and ice. I would bring microspikes or crampons. The western catskill have more snow, so snowshoes might be needed.

We will probably have a better idea by Friday.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

thanks mike as always. Glad to hear you have some semblance of winter up there. I might not make it this weekend but am definitely going to go next weekend. Keep us posted!

it was 70s today in jersey. And i'm still driving around with my snowshoes in my trunk"just in case"
mike

Unread post by mike »

The warm weather we have had over the last couple of days has helped tremendously. But, the snow line is still around 2500'. But, a lot more snow will melt by next weekend. Assuming, that we do not get another snow storm.
pdogg81

Unread post by pdogg81 »

Starting monday it looks like the weather will be above freezing for the rest of the week, so I'm hoping that if there is anything left up there's it's softened up. I'll be out next weekend with microspikes in case there are some nasty sections, but not planning to do anything too technical. I don't know if I'd want to go out this weekend though with the precipitation and freezing overnight temps.