If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Information about Bearpen and Vly conditions

Bearpen Mtn, Cator Roundtop, Hog Mtn, Irish Mtn, Kip Hill, North Bearpen Mtn, Montgomery Hollow Mtn, Moresville Range (peak, SE, SW), Peak 3403, Pine Mtn, Red Kill Ridge, Shutice Mtn, South Bearpen Mtn, White Man Mtn
pdogg81

Information about Bearpen and Vly conditions

Unread post by pdogg81 »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and I may be hiking Bearpen and possibly Vly also in a few weeks. A friend of mine suggested we rent some snowshoes, but the pictures I saw of a recent hike on here seemed to show little snow on the ground. Do you think that I'll need snowshoes, microspikes, or both to make it safely up there? Since there seem to be cut roads the terrain looks pretty tame, but when it comes to snow and ice I never take anything for granted.

I'm a pretty experienced hiker and have done several of the 3500'+ peaks, but when I went out in March a couple of years ago it was a dangerous, icy mess. This winter has been a lot milder than usual, but I'm not sure what conditions are like up on these mountains generally.

Also, do I need to be concerned about hunters since there is a cabin up there for them? I know most of the larger animals are out of season, but it looks like Coyote and some small game are still able to be hunted through march.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
mike

Re: Information about Bearpen and Vly conditions

Unread post by mike »

If you are hiking Vly and Bearpen from the south, then the climb is pretty easy. You can check out the hike here.

Most of this winter we have been hiking with just boots. We did use our snowshoes a couple weeks ago. But, only once. We have also been using our microspikes a lot lately. This week we got 6-12" of snow. On the higher peaks and out in the west there has been snow. Some places have 2' of snowpack. But, more unusual then the rule.

I don't expect there to be any snow in a couple weeks. Especially if it warms up. It has been a snowless winter in the Catskills. If you have microspikes, then bring them. Unless we get a big snow storm, I don't think you will need them.

The hunters cabin is used mainly in the Fall. Sometimes, you might see them in the summer, but that is rare. Some people grouse hunt over near Ski Run Road. You shouldn't have a problem.

Post again before you go. We can give you a better update.
pdogg81

Unread post by pdogg81 »

Thanks Mike. I ordered microspikes on Friday afternoon so I'll bring them along for sure. We went around the same time in 2008 to do a chunk of Devil's Path and I hit the deck a few times on the way in. Of course that was a very different winter than this one, but I'm not taking any chances.

My friend and I haven't discussed which route yet, but I'm hoping that we climb Bearpen first and then head over to Vly from there. There seem to be two good approaches on this site to choose from.

The plan is to make sure we climb these two mountains to check off the 3500' list, but we may end up in the area for a couple days and have some time to burn. Are there any other interesting hikes or points of interest in Bearpen Wild Forest? We can hit Roundtop before heading over to Bearpen, but I'm not finding a lot of information online about this area.

One other thing I almost forgot... are there any water sources on the mountain, or will I need to pack in any water needed? I usually bring some water and refill with a first need filter when possible.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I don't recall too many water sources on Bearpen. But, I go there most of the time in the Winter. I would bring water.

You can read about the hike to Roundtop here. No great views, but an easy hike.

Another good hike close by is Huntersfield Mtn. Check out the hike here.
cgeigel

Unread post by cgeigel »

Hi and just as fyi about general conditions as this is not about Bearpen/Vly specifically: On 2/18 - before the 8-12" of snow from last week that blanketed everything - we hiked up the east side of Blackhead, down the west, and then up the west side of Black Dome and back down.

Blackhead was best done in crampons due to total shelter from the sun for the 30-40 degree climb near the top for about 100 vertical feet. Black Dome, on the other hand, was literally mud in the lower parts and snow at the higher elevations, but no ice that required spikes at all.

I suppose you could have done the Blackhead part in microspikes but since I don't own a pair I don't know for sure what my level of comfort would have been with them on that ice.

My point is that the conditions are not only beyond variable this winter, they're just plain unpredictable! For example, three days ago we snowshoed the Sugarloaf loop (Mink Hollow up to DP, then up Sugarloaf and down Pecoy Notch), breaking trail the entire time in a foot of heavy wet snow, which now, and for the next couple of weeks, will be melting and refreezing on a daily basis, making for lots of ice particularly at the higher north facing elevations and in the shade.

So, while there will absolutely be a ton of fast melting in the sun with these mild temps, be prepared for just about anything! It's exciting, so have fun but be safe.
pdogg81

Unread post by pdogg81 »

Thank you both for the info. The weather is looking pretty decent in that area through next Thursday (some rain but on warm days), so hopefully we'll be able to get by with microspikes. I'll check in a few days before and see how conditions have changed by then.

I can only imagine trying to hike the Blackhead range in icy conditions... that must have been interesting. I guess I'll have to do Blackhead in the winter eventually, but I'll be careful to choose which winter to attempt that.

Huntersfield looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure if we'd drive out to another spot to do more hiking. Once back at the car I'm always hoping to go straight to McDonalds. Having a lean-to to stay in rather than a tent does keep it as an option though. Looks like Halcott is close enough to Vly to do on a second day if conditions permit, but there's no clear path and we'd need to cross at least one road on foot. That's probably overkill for a short trip.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

My point is that the conditions are not only beyond variable this winter, they're just plain unpredictable! For example, three days ago we snowshoed the Sugarloaf loop (Mink Hollow up to DP, then up Sugarloaf and down Pecoy Notch), breaking trail the entire time in a foot of heavy wet snow, which now, and for the next couple of weeks, will be melting and refreezing on a daily basis, making for lots of ice particularly at the higher north facing elevations and in the shade.
Well said! Always be prepared.