If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

need souls for Balsam Mtn.

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
Jon

need souls for Balsam Mtn.

Unread post by Jon »

I have 3 out of 4 winter hikes for the 3500. My hiking buddy actually fell by the trail register on our way back to the parking lot from Blackhead. Silly, but those rocks will get you every time. Image
Anyways with his ankle like this I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon

So if anyone wants to set a date and time. I usually like to get to TH by 9-9:30 since they're a 2-2.5 hr drive for me)

let me know here or via email. stelling.jon@gmail.com
If not I'll just solo it but then people around my house worry when I go off alone.
mike

Re: need souls for Balsam Mtn.

Unread post by mike »

Yikes! that ankle looks terrible.

We might be able to do this hike with you. I am also looking to check out the slide on Arizona Mtn this weekend too. But, I can shift things around. I presume you want to do it from Rider Hollow.

I don't think I would list my Email on-line. Too many bots looking for email addresses to spam you. I would use PM.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

lol i view email the same way I view the regular mail. It's mostly all junk! I have a palm phone though, so it's kinda like a little video game when I get emails I just swipe em off to delete things. heck with twitter, youtube subscriptions, picasa, and all those other alerts (thank god I got rid of my facebook) it seems like I sort through spam all day long. Domino's has a knack for emailing me at 11:45 asking if I want some lunch...just "click here" for pizza!

Anyways might be able to go this weekend...
I was just checking the route listed on this website, and it looks reasonable. Only thing I worry about is getting my car up that rte 49A.

Also gotta check the weather...
mike

Unread post by mike »

Rt 49a is just fine. I was on it about a week ago. Not so sure about Rider Hollow Road.

We could plan on next weekend. It is kinda short notice. I have already committed to the hike to the Arizona Slide. Maybe Rich would like to join us? But, I can still fit it in to this weekend.
Jon

Unread post by Jon »

k we will put something together in the near future. I have family matters to attend to, and dunno if i'm gonna be hiking for a couple weeks
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike and Jon,

I would definitely be interested in joining you guys for a hike - as long as it isn't too cold! In case you're wondering, the answer is "Yes", I'm a total wimp when it comes to hiking in the extreme cold. Regrettably, the next couple of weekends are tied up for me. I've never been to Balsam Mountain before, so I would need directions. This may be the last relatively mild weekend for some time. It is supposed to turn much colder some time next week. Hope to see you guys soon.

Rich

PS: Jon, please submit a post if you find time to hike High Mountain and "bag" the three Buttermilk Falls and Franklin Clove.
mike

Unread post by mike »

We would love to have you join us on the Balsam Mtn hike. I was thinking of you today. I did one of the best hikes I have done in a long time. I found some new places. This included a hidden section of NYS land that has five waterfalls that are absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, I was there very late in the day, so my pictures were rushed and my time was around 4 sec per shot.