If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Spruce Creek > Stoppel > NSL

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Spruce Creek > Stoppel > NSL

Unread post by mike »

It was unusually warm for January 1st. So, my objective was to hike up Spruce Creek looking for waterfalls. This hike has been on my list for several years, so today it became a reality. I parked at the Scutt Parking Lot just outside of North-South Lake. I then started to hike up Spruce Creek. Beautiful conifer forest lined most of the creek.

I encountered a small 15' cascade waterfall that flowed into Spruce Creek. Nothing spectacular. Most of the creek had small round rocks, and no ledge rock. So, NO waterfalls on Spruce Creek. That part was disappointing. As I approached the cirque at the end of Spruce Creek, I was going to turn right and hike up to North Mountain. But, I missed the turn off and ended up at Stoppel Point. I was almost at Stoppel Point before I realized my mistake. The end of the cirque was interesting. On the left was a ledge. But, I was able to find a nice rock pile to climb up. Then it leveled off.

There was snow on top of Stoppel Point. Not much, but enough to make traveling a little challenging. Some places had ice flows that were easy to get around. I then hiked back to North Mountain. I had a good time walking through the beautiful conifer (balsam fir) forest between the two mountain. I always enjoy the forest.

When I got to North Mountain, I left the trail to look for the summit. The summit is actually a long section. I then hiked back to the trail. I then left the trail again to look for the campsite by the southerly ledge. It is one of the nicest unofficial campsites in the Catskills.

I then walked down to the Lookout #2 and finally Lookout #1 (North Point). Both had good views. It was very windy, and I cooled off quite quickly once I stopped hiking. The trail between the two Lookouts was icy in spots. Mainly fog and clouds that froze to the rocks. So, I had to be careful on some of the difficult sections. I then hiked down North Mountain. As I descended, it got warmer and the icy rocks disappeared. But, wet trails and icy water was a problem. Nothing terrible. I stopped and photographed the three waterfalls on the way down.

When I got back to the car, I had hiked about 7.50 miles. 2.5 miles up to Stoppel Point, and 5 miles back on the trail. Had a nice day, and even ran into a couple happy hikers.

Map of the hike up Spruce Creek to Stoppel Point to North Mtn

Small 15' Cascade flowing into Spruce Creek

Old water supply shed on Spruce Creek

There used to be a dam that caused the water to flow into the side door, and flow down a 3" metal piple

View from Stoppel Point over the Hudson Valley

Beautiful Conifer forest between Stoppel Point and North Mountain

Beautiful Conifer forest between Stoppel Point and North Mountain

Campsite on the south ledge of North Mountain - Overlooks North-South Lake

Lookout #2 on North Mountain

View of Windham High Peak, Acra Point, and the Blackheads from between Lookout #1 and Lookout #2

View of Windham High Peak, Acra Point, and the Blackheads from Lookout #2

View of North-South Lake from Lookout #1 (North Point)

Waterfall at the trail junctions

Upper Ashley Falls

Upper Ashley Falls

Upper Ashley Falls

Upper Ashley Falls
mtnclimber

Re: Spruce Creek > Stoppel > NSL

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Never seen or heard about that water shed before. I'll have to check it out. You got some great pictures. Just have been a great day out in the woods.
Jon

Re: Spruce Creek > Stoppel > NSL

Unread post by Jon »

Wonderful pics I love the pine forest in between North Mtn and stoppel pt. I actually left a pair of glasses on that waist high boulder next to the trail in the pine forest.

Did you get to the grand view of the blackhead range? I thought that was the "stoppel point"
https://picasaweb.google.com/stelling.j ... 5085345186
It would be fabulous snow covered in winter.