If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Southern Escarpment

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Southern Escarpment

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday Alexis and I headed to the Catskill Mountains for a day hike. We had planned on hiking up towards North Point, but changed our minds when we discovered a dusting of snow had covered the ground. Instead we decided to take the 3rd ledge trail to Boulder Rock and then hike the southern escarpment in the Kaaterskill Clove. It was slippery due to the snow.

The 3rd ledge trail was still pretty good. Most of the snow was up in the tree, so it was easier hiking. It is always nice to walk thru the conifer forest. When we arrived at Boulder Rock we ran into a guy hiking for the day. Had a nice talk and then moved on. We then hiked up to the USGS Post Monument. On the way back we explored the thin chute down below Boulder Rock.

We then hiked down to the Southern Escarpment to Kaaterskill Clove. It was slightly windy, and actually cold. We brought extra clothing and we used it too. The first part of the trail was muddy, but not terrible. Once at Inspiration Point, the trail got better. We stopped at Sunset Rock (improperly marked as Inspiration Point by the DEC). Took a few pictures and moved on.

We then hiked up the DEC trails back to the car. About 5.3 miles and some great views. Without leaves there is almost a view on most the escarpment. Overall, we had a great day. Here are some pictures:

Map of the hike

Snow Covered road around North-South Lake

Pine Orchard - 3rd Ledge Trail

USGS Post Monument

Route from Boulder Rock to the trail below the ledge

Southern Escarpment

View from Inspiration Point

View of Santa Cruz Falls from Sunset Ledge
Jon

Re: Southern Escarpment

Unread post by Jon »

Great pics. They bring back memories for me. Since I was a little kid we used to go camping at N/S lake and hiked up to north point. We would also go up south mountain sometimes and around the southern escarmpent. The falls was a must every year as well. I haven't been over by south mountain in about 15 years though. I might go for a snowshoe there this winter if I can get my car up to the plateau
mike

Re: Southern Escarpment

Unread post by mike »

We hike around North-South lake quite a bit in the Winter. Maybe you can join us sometime.