If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Ideas for Day Hikes?

Post future hikes, Looking for hiking partners.
efeuer

Ideas for Day Hikes?

Unread post by efeuer »

Hello all,
I am an avid hiker and am excited to finally venture into the catskills. I was curious if any of you had any suggestions for some day hikes? I have been looking all over, and am kind of a bit overwhelmed with all the routes. If anyone has any favorites, I would be glad to hear them!

-Ethan
mike

Re: Ideas for Day Hikes?

Unread post by mike »

Welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post.

Here is a page showing the Best 25 hikes in the Catskills: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/hiking-CMBH25.html

If you can tell me the kinds of hikes you like the most, I can come up with a more refined list.
efeuer

Unread post by efeuer »

Hey Mike,
Thank you for the prompt response and for the link. Sorry for not thoroughly searching around the forum before posting.

I am going hiking with one other individual and we are looking to do three separate day hikes at three different locations. Ideally each hike would be a perfect loop, a days worth (6-7 hours) and the beginning of the loop would be near a campground where we can set up the tent.

After looking at the link you sent, it seems like the Hunter Mountain Loop would be one perfect hike. Now we are just looking for two more!

If you have any specific suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thank you again!

Best,
Ethan
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

The campground on Rt 214 (Notch Lake) is quite a ways from the Hunter Loop. You have to drive down Rt 214 -> Rt 23a -> Rt 42 -> Spruceton Road. About 20 miles. You can also do the loop up the notch and come back down Becker Hollow. Not nearly as good of a hike.

Here is another idea. Go down Spruceton Road to the Parking Area (PA) for horses (near the end of the road). Take the old jeep trail up. When you get about 3/4 of the way to the Fire Tower there is the John Robb Lean-To. This lean-to overlooks the Spruceton Valley. It is a beautiful view. Probably the best lean-to in the Catskills. The next day you can finish the loop. Here is the hike: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/HWK-hunter.html . The map doesn't show the first PA (with horse ramps). But, hike up the jeep trail pas Ox Hollow. The new John Robb Lean-To is just past the water source (barrel of water). The new lean-to is not shown on the map.

Another hike would be in another Lean-To in Blackhead. This hike shows the Lean-To: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/WB-bkmtnrange.html . This hike is very hard as a loop. The hike up the north side of Blackhead is steep and hard. Beware of porkie pines at this lean-to. Great views south of the summit of Blackhead.

Another hike would be from North-South Lake DEC campgrounds. Lots of good hikes from here. You can climb up to North Mtn. Great hike with great views: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/NSL-north.html . You can also hike part of the Escarpment Trail (south of the lakes). Here are some hikes: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/hiki ... nt-SW.html and http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/hiki ... nt-SE.html

North-South lakes might be your best choice. It is the best campground in the Catskills. There are lots of great trails. If you go to this campground, get a map from the rangers. Make sure you get reservations early, because this campground books up quickly.
efeuer

Unread post by efeuer »

Greg, Mike and mtnclimber,
Thank you so much for your suggestions, it's greatly appreciated.

We are not seasoned hikers, but are in shape. I personally go on 2 or 3 hikes a summer, but my partner only runs and has never gone on a full day hike. She's in shape, but this would be one of her first times going on an all out day hike. So we are looking for hills and definitely a challenge -but I don't think we could do something that's marked red/really difficult.

I was thinking to do moderate level hikes on routes/trails that are clearly marked.

Do you think that Mongaup Pond and North/South Lake would fit the bill?

Thanks as always!

Ethan
mike

Unread post by mike »

My knowledge is more geared for North-South Lake. Lots of hiking trails. Most are easy-to-moderate in ability. Great views from the Escarpment Trail. Also allows you to bail if you have had enough. The trip from Kaaterskill Falls to North Lake (escarpment) is a great hike that is easy. Couple moderate spots. Lots to see.
efeuer

Unread post by efeuer »

Greg Koziol wrote:I think Mike knows more about North/South lake then anyone here... and mongaup pond is my stomping grounds i've been going there for a long time, I go to that area every year for hunting so I know it like the back of my hand. Are you interested in seeing views/scenery? or are you interested in seeing wildlife and being in a wilderness setting? Maybe I can help you pick something in mongaup pond area. The main attractions at north/south lake would be kaaterskill falls and the escarpment trail. Ideally to see all the major views and scenic areas you would want a few days at each location.
Hey Greg and Mike!

Apologies for the delay in my response, I was away traveling.

I would love to hear any of your suggestions in Mongaup Pond. To answer your question in an unhelpful way, we are interested in either scenic or wildlife hikes. As long as it's a bit of a long hike I'm sure we would enjoy it!

So it looks like we're doing:

1. Mongaup Pond
2. North/South Lake
3. Woodland Valley

As always, thank's for all your help!

-Ethan
mike

Unread post by mike »

Have fun!
whistand

Unread post by whistand »

Great Ideas! I am hoping to visit this weekend. (Year long hiker) Just came back from ADKS going through withdraw! Not sure if I want to backpack/day hikes.
Wendy
Emily&hounds

Unread post by Emily&hounds »

Hope you didn't get hung up by road closings after Hurricane Irene.
Another spectacular day hike in autumn color is up Bear Pen mountain. There are two approaches, with a very steep road in between. Best done with a second car parked at the other end.