If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Lucas Kill Falls & inside the Amphitheater

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
mike

Lucas Kill Falls & inside the Amphitheater

Unread post by mike »

Over the past Winter I have been studying topo maps for new "unknown" waterfalls. I have had my eye on a particular section of the Kaaterskill Amphitheater around 1500-to-2000'. It looked like a great place to find some 50-to-100' waterfalls. I had convinced myself that they had to be there. The dilemma has been how to get there. Whenever I studied the topo maps, a good route didn't look so good. There appeared to be many large ledges and steep inclines. I finally found a route that looked like a "good" route. The good route required that I climb down over 1,000 vertical feet of steep terrain.

Rich was suppose to join me on this hike. But, at last minute, he had to cancel. So, it was just me today. I arrived at the Devil's Kitchen around 9:30 am. I quickly put on my mountaineering boots. I then discovered that I forgot my map. Only have 7 maps, and had none with me. But, I had done enough research to know where I wanted to go. Or, so I thought.

I then headed up the road. When I hit state land, I cut up towards Hell's Hole Creek. I then took the old road out towards Lucas Kill Falls. I arrived at the Falls in about 1 hours with 1.8 miles. Took some pictures of the Falls. I then headed up the edge of the eastern escarpment. I had planned on climbing from 2200' to 2600' and then follow a flat sloping ledge deep inside the Kaaterskill Amphitheater. But, as I climbed I noticed that the animals headed down some difficult and steep bands of ledges. They looked dangerous. So, I marched on. I didn't get up to the 2600' level. It didn't look like a good option, so I looked for a good place to descend. When I found what looked like a good spot, I started to descend. After I had committed to the descent, I found that I had to descend 300 vertical feet down some very steep terrain. No large ledges to speak of. But, the incline was 45-60 degrees for the first 200' and 30-45 degrees on the last 100'. It had mossy rocks and loose rocks. The descent was scary! It looked like North Dome Mountain on steroids. When I finally got down, I hit an old logging road. I followed it towards my destination. Very easy going on the logging road. When I got creeks, I found an illegal tree stand. I then headed down further into the Amphitheater looking for waterfalls. When I got to my destination, I found steep terrain and lots of streams. In spite of the steep terrain, there were no large waterfalls. Very unhappy to not find any.

So, I headed back up the road. I then headed horizontal along the logging road. I decided to skip going back up the steep incline I came down. Not sure I could get back up. Had to slide down certain areas. Too mossy...too steep...too slick to ascend. Instead I headed further south. I then started to ascend up through the ledge rock bands. Reminded me a lot of North Dome. I slowly worked my way up the bands of ledges. Some of the ascents of the ledges were challenging, but doable.

When I got to the top, I just reversed my tracks, and headed back to the car. Ran into a group of young hikers coming back from Huckleberry Point. They were happy and enjoyed the views. I think they had a better time then I did. I took the shortcut down Hell's Hole Creek. Beat the kids back to the car.

Here are some pictures of the hike:

Map of the hike

Horseshoe turn on Hell's Hole Creek - beautiful moss lines the creek bed

Lucas Kill Falls #1 - 18 feet high

Lucas Kill Falls #2 - 13 feet high

Lucas Kill Falls #3 - 20 feet high

Some mossy rocks on my steep descent down in the Kaaterskill Amphitheater - Fall here and you will die.

Horizontal Logging Road

Illegal Tree Stand around 1,944' on NYS land

Vertical Logging Road that descends further down the Kaaterskill Amphitheater

Views from one of the steep ledges on the trip back

Views from one of the steep ledges on the trip back

One of the many small water falls along Hell's Hole Creek on NYS land
mike

Re: Lucas Kill Falls & inside the Amphitheater

Unread post by mike »

The tree stand has been there for about 1-2 years. The pins had heavy rust. It was chained and locked up and permanently attached to the tree. The locks were quite rusty. Let's just say that it wasn't put there last week for turkey season. There is suppose to be a name tag and/or permit on the stand. None there. LOTs of deer in the Amphitheater. Probably a local person who has access from below. No way you could carry the deer up the hill and over the rim. I know that there is poaching going on in this region.

I doubt that the rangers would ever come down into the Amphitheater. That is the only way you would know it was there. Accessibility from state land is incredibly difficult. Easy from private land.

I personally don't have an issue with it. But, it is what it is.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Here is the law:

4. a tree stand or hunting blind that does not injure a tree, is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number, and is placed and used during big game season, migratory game bird season, or turkey season; or

5. a wildlife viewing blind or stand that is placed for a duration not to exceed thirty (30) days in one location per calendar year, does not injure a tree, and is properly marked or tagged with the owner's name and address or valid hunting or fishing license number.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Mike - it looks like you took the steepest way down into the amp? I think if you went higher up, you would have had an easier route in. Did I miss something?

Can you get up to Hawkeye easily?
Did you see any copperheads or rattlers there?
mike

Unread post by mike »

Mike - it looks like you took the steepest way down into the amp? I think if you went higher up, you would have had an easier route in. Did I miss something?

Can you get up to Hawkeye easily?
Did you see any copperheads or rattlers there?
On the map it looks like the steepest way down. But in reality, it is very steep, but doesn't have any ledges. Other places on the topo have high ledges, but the land between the bands of ledges is less steep. But, the way back is easier. Going my original planned route might be better, or you might run into high ledges. Let me put it this way...There is NO easy way down.

I think you can get to Hawkeye, but it is a difficult climb. I have looked down from Hawkeye and thought that it looked doable. But, ledges further down might be challenging.

I believed that I might find some copperheads in the drainage, but didn't. Can't say if they are there or not. But, I didn't see any.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Last year the DEC created some new regulations concerning personal property on state land. Hikers used to stash water bottles along the trail. We can no longer do this. Same with stashing packs. No trail cameras either. No stone blinds. They considered no tree stands, but reversed themselves on that one. Now, they must be tagged and may only be there during the particular hunting season.

I can understand their position, but it seems a little harsh.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I really do not see the need for the regulations. I have not seen any significant abuses. Most hiking groups clean up the forest. I have never seen the DEC clean up the woods, but I am sure it has happen. They may have a good reason, but I am sure what the reason is.

After the regs when into effect, I have not seen any changes. So, the public has just ignored the regs.

I don't seen the harm with trail cams. No one is going to leave it forever. Not sure why they were not included.

Obviously, just my opinion.