If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Huckleberry Point

Buttermilk Falls, Cortina, Devil's Kitchen, Haines Falls, Hawkeye, Huckleberry Point, Johnson's Point, Kaaterskill High Peak, Poet's Ledge, Round Top, Viola Falls, Wildcat Falls
mike

Huckleberry Point

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday Alexis and I headed over to the Devil's Kitchen. The wind was real blowing hard. The snow was blowing across the road like it was snowing out. But, the sun was shining. The day before the temperature was 70 degrees, and today it was 20 degrees out. Rt 16 was heaving real bad. In some places you couldn't drive faster then 15 mph.

When we pulled into the DEC PA, there was already a couple cars there. But, it was 10 AM, so that was not a real surprise. But, with the strong winds, you would think that some people would stay home.

After we got our snowshoes on, we registered and headed up the trail. The wind continued to blow hard. The snowmobiles had packed down the trail well, and there was an inch of fresh snow. We then headed east towards Huckleberry Point. The trail was then broken from hikers yesterday. The snow blew over their tracks, but you could still follow them. When we got to the stream, the ice was cleared, and the water was running faster then normal. We had to search up the stream for a good place to cross. That was difficult, but not terrible. We then headed onward towards Huckleberry Point. By the time we got to Huckleberry Point, it was snowing and the views were obstructed. We stopped and had a bit to eat, but the views didn't get any better, so we headed back. Part way back up the hill we ran into a nice couple with their daughter. They were contemplating whether they should continue in the snow. My suggestion was that it might be sunny by the time they got there. You just never know. About 10 minutes later, the sun came out. Since we didn't see them, we had to assume that they forged forward to Huckleberry Point.

About 5 miles, and a nice day. Even if we didn't have views. Here are a few pictures:

The upper part of Hell's Hole Creek - A little challenging to cross

Alexis swaying with the trees

The old Steenberg Road
mtnclimber

Re: Huckleberry Point

Unread post by mtnclimber »

A little too windy for my taste. Too bad you couldn't get a view from Huckleberry Point. When are you going to do Kaaterskill AMP hike?
mike

Unread post by mike »

We are going to do the Kaaterskill AMP hike very soon!
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Mike, you have had some incredible pictures this Winter. So, if you have some so-so hikes were still happy. I can't wait to see the pictures from the Kaaterskill Amphitheater hike. I presume that you will go to Hawkeye too.

That picture of alexis swaying with the tree is pretty cool.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, thanks as always for posting and sharing your hiking experiences, though I'm sorry to hear the views at Huckleberry were obstructed. The weather this winter has been very stormy and we really haven't had many days with those "sparkling clear, cobalt blue skies" that make winter hiking and photography so spectacular. Regrettably, I haven't been out all winter, as there's been too many things going on every weekend.

However, I am very interested in doing the amphitheater hike. I assume you'll post a date when you are planning to do it. If I'm free, I would love to join you. Hope you and Alexis are well, and hope to "cross paths" soon.

Rich