If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Boulder Rock - Feb 12th

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Boulder Rock - Feb 12th

Unread post by mike »

Alexis and I didn't really have any concrete hiking plans today. The weather wasn't great. But, we wanted to go hiking anyway. The sky was overcast and it was very windy. We headed to North-South Lake. When we arrived there were a few cars there, but nothing terrible.

We headed up the road to the Hotel Carriage Road. The hotel carriage road was not broken out. With a nice icy crust on top, it made it very difficult to break the trail. We then turned onto the east terminus of the 3rd Ledge trail. Again, I had to continue breaking the trail. We looked at the snow drifts in Puddingstone Hall, but had no intentions of going down. Instead we headed over to Boulder Rock. Here the trail was broken, so traveling was easy. Ran into two other hikers near Split Rock.

Alexis then lead the hike to Kaaterskill Hotel. We then decided to back-track to the Hotel Carriage Road. I then broke the trail down the upper section.

It was a short hike of 3.6 miles. Just a nice walk through the woods. Here are some pictures:

East side of the 3rd Ledge Trail

Overlooking South Lake from the 3rd Ledge Trail

3rd Ledge Trail

3rd Ledge Trail

Eagle Ledge

Eagle Ledge - Looking North

Eagle Ledge - Looking South

Boulder Rock - Looking South
rkugel

Re: Boulder Rock - Feb 12th

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike,

I love the shot at Eagle Rock looking south. What a dramatic sky! Looks like a massive storm is threatening to move in. Beautiful photo!

Rich