If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Bear's Den - Jan 22, 2011

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Bear's Den - Jan 22, 2011

Unread post by mike »

On Saturday, January 22, 2011 Alexis and I visited North-South Lake region to hike. We didn't have any plans on a specific hike. We just wanted to have some fun. We really liked the previous weeks hike of the 3rd Ledge. We were almost tempted to repeat the hike again. We thought of hiking to Boulder Rock, but we have done that hike so many times before. So, we decided to hike across the South Lake in a blind direction. About 1,000 feet across the lake I decided on Bear's Den. It had been a year since we had been there.

Part way across the lake, we noticed another set of snowshoe prints leading in the same direction. Lucky for us, someone just ahead of us broke out most of the trail. Lucky us.

I am not surprised too often. But, todays hike was spectacular. There was still ice stuck to the trees. The glitter of the ice off the trees in the sun was magical. Here are some of the pictures:

Us crossing South Lake and heading towards the channel to North Lake

Panoramic of North Mountain and Lookout #1 (North Point) and Lookout #2

Alexis just about done crossing North Lake

One of the DEC buildings between North Lake and the Escarpment Trail

Turkey tracks embossed on the snow

The shortcut trail to the Escarpment Trail

Beginning of the Escarpment Trail just north of the old Cog Railroad

Alexis just about done negotiating the only steep section of the trial to Bear's Den

Further up the Escarpment Trail

The Escarpment Trail

The Escarpment Trail

Alexis crossing Prospect Ledge

View of the Hudson Valley from Prospect Ledge

View from Sunrise Rock (DEC has improperly marked as Artist Rock) - View of the Ridge line above Rip Van Winkle House

Not so great panoramic of the Hudson Valley from Sunrise Rock

Alexis coming up the trail just past Prospect Ledge

Another great view of the Tree Rime on the Escarpment Trail

Alexis walking under Bear's Den

The trail from the Escarpment Trail to Bear's Den

The trail from the Escarpment Trail to Bear's Den - Overlooking the Hudson Valley

Entering Bear's Den - Overlooking the Mountaintop - As we reached Bear's Den the sun went in :(

Bear's Den

Bear's Den

Bear's Den

Returning back to North Lake - Snow drifts overwhelming the building

Colgate Lake Region - Looking at the Blackhead Mtn Range

Colgate Lake Region - Looking at the Blackhead Mtn Range
mtnclimber

Re: Bear's Den - Jan 22, 2011

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Wow! those are great photos.
bikenhike

Unread post by bikenhike »

Sounds like you guys had a great hike. Prospect Ledge and Bears den were magical looking in the photos. I don't think I have seen Bear's Den. Will have to check it out.
mike

Unread post by mike »

I should point out that "Bear's Den" is improperly marked by the DEC as "Artist rock". You can check out the proper names on the 1940 Arrowhead map here: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/maps-11.html
dave

Unread post by dave »

Great trail report Mike!
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, as always, thanks for a great trip report. The photos you took are "calendar worthy". Beautiful!

As I'm sure you know, extreme care must be used when walking on top of Bear's Den in the winter when there is heavy snow. There are numerous crevices you could easily fall through. If my understanding is correct, Sunset Rock is very near Bear's Den and was accessible back in the 1800's with a ladder called "Jacob's Ladder". The use of the name "Sunset Rock" is a bit confusing, since it also applies to the overlook facing Kaaterskill Clove (which is improperly labeled as "Inspiration Point, but that's another story)!

I also remember reading the ledge labeled "Artists Rock" is also not correct. Although I've seen a few candidates, I've never been able to positively identify the "real" Artists Rock.

Bob Guildersleeve's book also mentions an old trail from Bear's Ben that ran in a northwesterly direction to a geological formation called "The Cellar". From there, the trail ran a short distance and intercepted the present day Escarpment Trail a few hundred feet from Badman's Cave.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Thanks Rich! There seemed little point in putting my camera away. There was a great shot every time you moved forward. I was thinking of you when we hiked up there. I know that you are in SAP hell right now, so I didn't bother Emailing you for this hike. It would only make it more painful.

I know most of the dangerous spots on Bear's Den, so we were able to move around. Some of the dangerous spots were not covered up with snow. But, we didn't get too adventurous. Unfortunately, the clouds blew in just as we reached Bear's Den. We waited awhile, but we just ended up with cold feet from no movement.

Jacob's Ladder was actually a wooden ladder that allowed people to climb up on Bear's Den on the south side. Today, you have to walk all the way around Bear's Den to get there. Really too bad. You can see Sunset Rock from Bear's Den. I have never walked over there, but I understand that it is now overgrown.

I think that I have the GPS position for Artist Rock. Actually, there were two. The second one was called Outlook #2 in Rusk book. There were a number of paintings from that spot too.

I believe that this is "The Cellar":

rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike,

The next time we have the opportunity to hike together, I'd like to see the location you have on your GPS for Artists Rock. Supposedly, hikers had a good view to the south from Artists Rock and could see the Catskill Mountain House.

I am also curious to see the location you attached for The Cellar. I believe I spotted a blue marker in your shot, indicating the shot was taken somewhere along the Escarpment Trail.

From what I understand, The Cellar is off the trail and requires a bushwhack. I attached a few photos from "what I believe to be" The Cellar. As I mentioned before, there was an old trail that ran from Bear's Den to The Cellar and then on up to Badman's Cave. Here's how I found The Cellar: I started at Newman's Ledge and then continued hiking the Escarpment Trail in a northerly direction towards Badman's Cave and North Point. After perhaps a quarter of a mile, I passed a bog on the left side of the trail. Immediately after the bog, the Escarpment Trail ascends a short but steep ledge (15-20 feet) and then jogs 90 degrees to the right. If instead, you jog 90 degrees to the left, you will see a vague trail heading in a general southerly direction along the top of the ledge. I believe this is part of the old trail from Badman's Cave to The Cellar. Anyway, if you follow the top of the ledge and the old trail for a few hundred feet (400 - 500 feet) the trail will descend the ledge into a depression. At the bottom of the depression is a small stream. If you turn right and follow the stream for about 25-30 feet, you will come to The Cellar.

From what I understand, The Cellar was caused by glacial action that actually gorged an opening through the ledge (boy, I could really use Bob Titus now!). The bog that I mentioned earlier along the Escarpment Trail is thousands of years old and actually is the source of the stream that runs through The Cellar. I also believe the stream eventually leads to Ashley Falls.

The Cellar is a depression approximately 100 feet wide and 100 feet long with steep vertical ledges along the sides. I remember reading accounts of how cool The Cellar was even on the hottest days, and I can personally vouch for that. I hiked there in late July 2009. In spite of the day being very warm (around 80 degrees), there was a cool breeze (almost chilly!) wafting through The Cellar.

However, the most intriguing aspect of The Cellar was how there was a deciduous forest on one side and a conifer forest on the other. Really weird! If you wish, we can add The Cellar to our "to do" list.

As you so elegantly stated, I am still in "SAP Hell', but things should simmer down soon.

Rich
2009-0725-TheCellar-04.JPG
2009-0725-TheCellar-02.JPG
2009-0725-TheCellar-05.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike

Unread post by mike »

The next time we have the opportunity to hike together, I'd like to see the location you have on your GPS for Artists Rock. Supposedly, hikers had a good view to the south from Artists Rock and could see the Catskill Mountain House.
The location is now overgrown, so you can still see the site in the Winter. Because it is now overgrown, I think this confuses people.

I think you are right about The Cellar. I forgot about the fact that they changed the trail. I will have to go back and look again.