If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

3rd Ledge Trail

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

3rd Ledge Trail

Unread post by mike »

Alexis and I planned on hiking today. Our objective was the hike the entire length of the 3rd Ledge Trail that ran from Catskill Mountain House to the 4-way intersection at the end of Scutt Road and the cross-country ski trail.

We left the house at 8 am this morning. It was a cool zero degrees out. By the time we got to North-South Lake it was 13 degrees. We arrive around 9 am. The parking lot was almost empty. I took my very cold boots out of the truck and put them on. Boy were they cold.

Our plan was to hike across South Lake to the beach. Then we would hike up to the old Catskill Mountain House. Then we would hike up to the 3rd ledge and follow it to the old Hotel Carriage Road. Then we would follow it on the west side to the end.

This is our hike across the lake. Half way across the lake we ran into the only other people in the North-South Lake region. 3 local people ice fishing. Real nice group of people. Had a nice conversation with them. Their dog was equally happy to get a little attention. We continued across the lake

After leaving the Catskill Mountain House, we headed up the trail. The ranger had been there to 2 days ago. Once we registered, we headed up the trail. After about 100' we left the trail and moved from the 1st ledge to the 2nd ledge by the old water tower.

Near the top of the ledge we hit deep snow drifts. At the top of the 2nd Ledge, we hit saw where the wind had sweep the ground almost clean.

In this picture, we were headed from the 2nd Ledge up to the 3rd ledge. In the near distance, is Puddingstone Hall. The snow drift were 5 feet deep.

This is Alexis climbing up the section with no snow. But, just above it was deep and difficult snow.

Okay, here is another difficult section of snow in Puddingstone Hall. Once above this point, we would arrive on the 3rd ledge

A section of the 3rd ledge trail that runs right next to the ledge. No goof up here!

This is a picture of the view point on the east side of the 3rd ledge trail. The hole at the bottom is a crack in the ledge with a 20' fall. So jumping over this area is important

This is the horseshoe turn on the old Kaaterskill Hotel Carriage Road. We then headed up the hill for a couple hundred feet to continue on the west side of the 3rd ledge trail.

Part of the west side of the 3rd ledge trail.

Alexis coming out of the end of the 3rd ledge trail

We then head up the cross-country ski trail

Alexis coming up the cross-country ski trail

The other side of the cross country ski trail

This is a topo map of the hike

The hike was 3.34 miles long. We spend about 3 hours out in the wood. Not really in a hurry, and we had a great time.
rkugel

Re: 3rd Ledge Trail

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, thanks as always for a great trip report. I really want to hike that trail as soon as I get a free weekend. I've been on the "east" end of the trail (i.e., from the elbow on the Hotel Kaaterskill carriage road to the Escarpment Trail near Eagle Rock and Bootjack Rock), but I've never done the "west" end. Your point about snow covered crevices is both frightening and very well taken. Thanks for the reminder to be extra vigilant when hiking in deep snow - especially if you are off of established trails. One more point: If you are hiking the Escarpment Trail in a north direction from Boulder Rock towards the Catskill Mountain House, it is incredibly easy to "accidentally" take the 3rd Ledge Trail. Just past Eagle Rock and Bootjack Rock, the Escarpment Trail jogs right and descends the 3rd Ledge. However, if you are not paying attention and you just continue straight, you will be on the "3rd Ledge Trail".
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

Great trip report mike. Rich, I have made the same mistake. It is easy to miss that right turn down the chute. In the winter, the chute turns into a giant ice flow.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Rich, just let me know when you get some free time. I would be happy to take you up there. It is an easy hike.
rkugel

Unread post by rkugel »

Mike, thanks for your offer to show me the 3rd Ledge Trail. Yes, I would love to see it. Unfortunately, I have to work this weekend (grrrrr!!!!!), since we're cutting in a new version of SAP. Hopefully, the following weekends will grant me some free time. The last time I got up to the Catskills was back in early December when you and I explored the tannery.

I would also like to hike to Sunset Rock (the one overlooking North and South Lakes, versus the one facing kaaterskill Clove) and get some winter shots. Actually, now that I think about it, either Sunset Rock would present spectacular winter vistas.

Question: Have you seen any rime this winter? You posted some absolutely stunning shots last winter, but I haven't seen anything posted so far this season.

Rich
mike

Unread post by mike »

Just let me know when you have some free time. I think you mean Bear's Den.

There has been some Rime, but nothing great. Should be able to catch some next month on Bearpen. Great photo Op.